Replace sheared rivets in AL Boat

mscher

Lieutenant
My 2001 Lowe Angler came down HARD on the port transom aft corner, during a big storm. What made it worse was about 100 gals of water in the bilge. <br /><br />The last three rivets holding the gunwale to the side sheard off.<br /><br />Although this does not affect flotation or leakage, I would like to fix it os that it looks nice.<br /><br />Any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks

D

DJ

Re: Replace sheared rivets in AL Boat

Marty.<br /><br />Can you get to both sides of the rivets? If so, use blank rivets and a hammer and block.<br /><br />If not, use all aluminum pop rivets sealed witrh Marine Tex.

mscher

Lieutenant

I can easily get to both sides, DJ.<br /><br />Where can I get the proper rivets?<br /><br />I'm not against using pop rivets, but these seem a little larger than 1/8", which I believe is the usual size.<br /><br />Thanks

D

DJ

Marty,<br /><br />Any hardware store with a decent bolt room should have whatever you need. You may have to buy a bunch of them.<br /><br />You can get pop rivets that big, you may need a different ferrule for your pop rivet gun though.