Four Winns Freedom 170 O/B. Evinrude or Johnson

sammyjacob

Cadet
I've taken into account all the brilliant advice I've been given here and have decided to go with the Four Winns Freedom 170 OB. The only remaining question now is do I chose the Johnson 115hp or the Evinrude 115hp (ficht - what does that stand for?). There's a substantial difference in price of around $2.5k.<br />My main concerns are MPG, Noise, Servicing Costs and Reliability. Both makes can be serviced here equally well. I really don't want to go upto the Freedom 180 OB which has the option of the 150hp John/Even! Although, if you tell me it's worth the extra $5k I'll give it serious consideration. The one thing which is confusing me is why Outboards are more expensive than Stern Drives when, it would appear, you're getting more for your dollar with the Stern. ie Freedom 180 3L 135hp Penta = $18k and the Freedom 180 OB Johnson 115hp = $19k and Evenrude 150hp = $22k. I'd like to take this op in thanking CKelly, RatFish, LouC and all the others for helping me out.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Four Winns Freedom 170 O/B. Evinrude or Johnson

You have a lot more weight with a stern drive. So that extra power doesn't pay off that much. Both the motors will be good. I'll let others address you specific questions.<br /><br />Edit:<br /><br />are both the motors 4-strokes?<br /><br />I just looked the Johnson 4 stroke specs are here<br /><br />The 115 is at least 200 lbs less than the 135 hp 3.0 stern drive.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

If the Johnson is a 2-stroke then it has a carburetor, not fuel injection. This works reliably and is cheaper to fix. But the Evinrude FICHT is a much more advanced fuel injection design. With better MPG, lower noise, easier starting, etc. My view is that the main consideration is the level of competence of your service techinican. If he is a guy with lots of experience on the older motors, then stick with what he will know best, the Johnson carburetor. On the other hand if you dealer has gone to the expense of sending his guy to school on the new FICHT, then that really is a more efficient design. So I would suggest a heart-to-heart talk with your dealer about his service experience. Very nice boat by the way :) <br /><br />Kelly Cook

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Actually I think the 115 Evinrude is only available in 4 stroke.<br /><br />The Johnson has the option of 2 or 4 stroke.

sammyjacob

Cadet

The Evinrude 115 FPL FICHT is a TWO STROKE V4 Direct Injection. In-fact, I don't think they make a Four Stroke (unlike Johnson).

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Wow I learn stuff everyday. Thanks SammyJay. Now I know.<br /><br />So is the Johnson that is available on the boat 4 or 2 stroke?<br /><br />I'm just curious at this point I wouldn't know which to suggest.

sammyjacob

Cadet

The Johnson is the 115PL which is also a TWO Stroke although Carb. The Evinrude (DI) is more economical with a generally better performance (25% more MPG)/noise. I calculated (based on 100hrs/year use) that it would take around 3-4 years in petrol costs to to recoup the extra cost for the Evinrude vs Johnson which is probably a wise move. Petrol here (Israel) costs $5.5 a gallon. All I have to do now is haggle with the dealer !!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

In real world terms you would have to run the wheels off a 4-stroke or 2-stroke FICHT to get back the $ difference in fuel savings. But no matter. Because where the nicer motor will really pay off is in resale. Used boat shoppers will be a lot more willing to go for your boat with the nicer motor, and pay extra too.<br /><br />Kelly

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

OBs cost more because the whole unit is made for marine use, it is not like an adapted auto engine like a stern drive. Since auto engines are made in such large volume, the cost is lower than for the OB. But in salt water, the repairs and maintenance costs for the stern drive will be greater, so over time I think the OB will cost less. In freshwater a stern drive is fine, they can run well for years if well maintained.<br />Now what you have to do it try both the Johnson carb and the Evinrude Ficht to see which one you like better. The Ficht should smoke less, run smoother and faster. But as Kelly said, they are high tech and many techs do not know how to fix them. The old style OMC 2 stroke carb on the other hand is a well know engine. For me I would get the 2 stroke carb while you still can. I see 35 year old Johnsons and Evinrudes putting around here still, I don't know if the high tech motors will still be around or repairable years from now!