Opinions wanted? 16' 70HP Pull Skier??

bshellrude

Seaman
Just wanted to check. Just rebuilt my engine (1990 70HP Evinrude) and she seems to be running great, but haven't had a chance to pull anything behind it. <br /><br />I'm wondering if anyone else out there has a similar boat & motor and has experiences they can tell me about regarding pulling skiers, kneeboards, etc...??<br /><br />I have a 16' Chaperral 162XL. 6'2" beam, I think 2'6" deep. With two adults in the bow and two at helm and passenger it gets up and planes within I'd say 5-8 seconds or so.<br /><br />Any opinions?<br />Cheers

D

DJ

Re: Opinions wanted? 16' 70HP Pull Skier??

Make sure it is propped to turn at least 5500 RPM, with a light load.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

You shouldn't have any trouble picking up a skier with this rig. DJ's comment is important because if your prop is pitched too high, you'll have trouble with acceleration and may have to go to a lower pitch for it to pick up the skier properly. I have two props, a 17"p for light loads and normal running around and a 15"p for picking up slalom skiers. Each serves as a spare to the other, so it's not an extra expense. Have fun.

NathanY

Commander

Unless that skier weighs less than, I'd say 125, then no it will probably not pull them out of the water. Some say it will, but since I have the exact same motor I say it wont.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

It's all in the correct prop for the job. A 70 hp. with shorter pitch prop will easily pull out a skier on two skis. Put your spotter in the front bow to keep the nose down. <br /><br />My buddy slalom skis off a 55 and he weighs about 175 lbs. He had a 70 before and it was what he considered perfect for the job (the engine was stolen). Mind you his boat was smaller too. <br /><br />During our week's vacation this year, one fella was pulling a kid (around 10 years old or so) on two skis with a 15 hp. That's a little extreme and I didn't see how they started off...maybe they were standing already and took off from a sandy beach.

sangerwaker

Commander

Cobra, <br />A 15 is more than enough to pull a 10 yr old on pairs. I learned behind a 18 Evi when I was thirteen and even dropped a ski! We used to trick ski behind a 9.9 on a 12' duck boat too!

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, it's all in the setup. All my kids learned to ski behind a 14' wood boat with a 25 HP. It was perfect for them, because it got them up fairly quickly without pulling the handle out of their hands. A 70 HP should be plenty to pick up a skier, unless they're a whale.

BF

Lieutenant

yup, should be no problem... we ski'd a 40 hp 'rude to death when I was about 12-15, even skied doubles behind it. Was a big day when we got a new 60 hp. It would pull no prob, and go faster than we wanted to go for slalom. Used to ski doubles on 1 ski (including deep water starts). Of course none of use teenagers weighed much and we were all good skiers.<br /><br />Of course when it comes to an adult, it might be easier to get up on 2 skiis and then drop one if they wanna go slalom. Kneeboarding, wakeboarding and tubing will all be no problem. (easier to get up on than skis)<br /><br />If you don't have one, you might consider getting a ski pylon at some point. Makes a big difference, especially for tubing. But, if it's too high, it acts like a lever and can make the boat slower on the start.<br /><br />Keeping the weight in the boat down (1 light spotter) helps a lot when the HP isn't overpowering.<br /><br />have fun with it! But with this summer, you're probably not that anxious to be wet all the time.<br /><br />Brent

bshellrude

Seaman

LOL... No doubt Brent. Nice to see someone else from the 'peg!<br /><br />So you mention the ski pylon. Actually what I picked up was something of a Y bridle. It connects to the two rings I have on either side of the stern and has a pulley of sorts on it that you tie your tow rope to. It's then free to "roll" from side to side depending on turning. Would this serve to some extent the same purpose?<br /><br />But undoubtedly, as you say given the weather this summer, might not be all that wonderful. However, considering I just bought it not that long ago... gotta give her a try right?<br /><br />Have you been out to the whiteshell at all this year? Is the water super cold? Or reasonable?

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer

I think the 70 will be fine for skiing. As other have said, a lower pitch prop will help tremendously.<br /><br />A friend of mine easily skiied behind my old 50 on a heavy 15' boat.<br /><br />With respect to the ski tower, when I purchased my new boat last year, it had the tower installed already so I did not have a choice to purchase with it or not. It was about $400 option. We only ski a couple of weekends a summer.<br /><br />It is worth the money and makes tubing and skiing much easier.<br /><br />tx.<br /><br />Joe

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I remember when John/Rude came out with the 50hp back in around '59. We were used to skiing behind 30 and 35 hp. This thing would pull skiiers like crazy. They even made a song about it.. "Ski King" a funny nonsensical song. So yeah.. having skiied behind a 30 many times I'd say a 70 will do just fine.

bshellrude

Seaman

Great!! Now on to the prop.<br />I'm absolutely new to this, so please bear with me. I have managed to completely rebuild the powerhead on my 70, but have not paid any attention to the lower unit... So... questions are as follows:<br /><br />1) How do I determine what prop I currently have<br />2) Once determined, do I just look at getting a 15"pitch prop that's the same diameter? What if it's already 15" pitch, is there a smaller pitch that would further improve my performance for pulling?<br /><br />Thanks again for all you input!<br />Cheers!

bshellrude

Seaman

Oh, and also wondering:<br /><br />1) Cupped?<br />2) Rake?

delta breeze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Net Wiz,<br /> I have a 14' Glastron fishing boat with a 60hp Johnson and I pull my girfriend around and she has not had a problem pulling me up either I'm at the 195 range.It s a little slow with me but I don't change my prop. Good luck Delta Breeze

scuttlebutt

Cadet

I use an OMC stainless 17 pitch cupped and I love it for skiing. I have a tad more ponies though 115 shaft rated Evinrude on a 16' Vanguard ( Made in Winnepeg ) I believe the cupped idea is to grab more water for faster take offs... at least thats what my memory tells me it was over fifteen years ago when i bought it :eek: :) <br /><br /> Oh yeah as far as the 70 goes you should be fine. I am 230lbs and have skied behind me maties 197? 85 Merc on a 16" Grew with not too much trouble. Deep water starts with one ski are a little long but once up it works okay. usually we use a drop ski to make life easier on us so we aren't pooped as soon as we get up.... getting old sucks :mad: :p

w103pcm

Seaman Apprentice

On a similar note, I have a '64 hp Johnson on a 17' fiberglass v-hull. Will it pull a skier??<br /><br />Does anyone have any idea how fast a boat like this should get going? I just got it, and haven't even had it in the water yet...<br /><br />Thanks!!

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Two weeks ago we tested some boats out in the Sacramento area. One was a 16 ft. bayliner caprie (1984) enclosed bow, with an 85 hp Force. The boat ran well, but would not plane at all with five 225 lb + (over 1100 lbs) guys on board. it only had sets for 4. <br /><br />The testing was to demonstrate before and after performance with Smart Tabs ( no prop changes) and towing both skiers and inflatable tube type devices.<br /><br />With the Smart Tabs installed the boat got on plane easily (about 7 seconds ) with the same five guys, and ran 33 MPH at WOT. With a lesser load it ran 36 using a GPS. WE towed skiers and tubes in various conditions without any difficulty. The motor did not have electric tilt / trim. With the Smart Tabs we ran the trim rod in the middle position. Without the Smart Tabs it was in the lowest possition.

w103pcm

Seaman Apprentice

I just noticed a mistake on my last posting.... I have a '64 75hp Johnson on a 17' fiberglass v-hull. Will it pull a skier. How fast should it run?<br /><br />Sorry all, thanks for the help!!

BF

Lieutenant

Hey Netwiz,<br /><br />Nope I haven't been in the Whiteshell this year. But, there are some shallow lakes in there that should still be bearable temperature-wise. Betula, White Lake or Brereton might be good choices.... Big whiteshell or Nutimik probably have better fishing, but are likely a bit colder. <br /><br />The Y-thing you bought (rope with pulley that you attach to the boat clips) will be fine... that's all some people ever use. But... if you end up using to the boat for tubing alot, it's much nicer to have the rope up higher so it's out of the water. It makes swinging the tube back and forth over the wake easier. It's definately something that can wait.<br /><br />Yes, you should try it! Otherwise you'll spend all winter wondering how it will be. Maybe consider spending the $60 or so bucks to buy a cheap wetsuit. It's something you'll appreciate and it'll let you extend the watersports season a bit further into the spring and fall.<br /><br />As for the prop, why not try pulling with it before re-propping? You can always re-prop later if it's an issue.<br /><br />good luck!<br /><br />Brent<br /><br />PS... if you've never driven a boat pulling a skier etc before, be careful. Go slow when going around them if they fall, and shut off the engine anytime someone's in the water close to the boat.