Operators Permit

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure if you can help me with this one, or not. Here in Canada, we're supposed to have a PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operating Card (Certificate). I don't have one as yet, but in the next few days I'll have one, over the Internet. The question is; my father-in-law, who has one, seems to think that, legally, they won't come into effect until '06 or '07.<br />Being that its Saturday, the local DNR is closed, to ask them any questions about this.<br />Realizing that this is an American site, I'd still like to put the question out there...Any ideas on this.<br />The Safety course is a great idea. Also, I've been on ATV Forums, (I have a 2001 450 Foreman ES) that does not compare with the info you guys have on this Boat/Motor Forum. Kudos !!<br /><br />Thanks, once again !<br /><br />Kerry

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Operators Permit

kwandmm - how was the trip this morning?<br /><br />So far it works like this: You have been required to have the card for operating power driven vessels under 4m (~13ft) since Sept 15, 2002. This seems to be to get the PWC people first, without being explicit. But technically it applies to your 10ft tinny, dinghy, and 2hp outboard powered tender too. The way I read the regulations, the length is the overall length of the boat hull, stem to stern.<br />For larger craft, you'll need it by September 15, 2009. <br />If you were born after April 1, 1983, then you have had to have had the card since Sept 15, 1999 no matter what size craft you were operating. This rule seems to exist to persecute young people. <br />There is no horsepower restriction on any of the above rules, so you still need the card to operate an under 7.5KW (10hp...) engine. You just don't need to have your boat licensed.<br />Since the Coast guard is in such trouble these days, enforcement in my experience has been nil. I recently read an article in the Chronical Herald that said that the Compentancy Card program had the highest incidence of non-complience in Canada, even beating the Gun Registry! To combat this, they have allowed the local police to issue fines. So beware on nice days!<br /><br />Office of Boating Saftey, ie the horses mouth.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boat Questions.

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. The SpringBoks" a 12 ft., but alas its still a Tinny! My fater-in-law was up today to have a gander at it! The Lake was a little rough today, as we have been getting slightly higher winds and Thunder. We put off the excursion til tomorrow. He was excited that I could get the boat, motor, trailor, 2 batteries, trolling mtr, fishfinder for $1400.00.<br />His brother says that they can stop looking for a boat now...Not sure what he was getting at, though!<br /> Rules around here a little iffy...always have been. Guess it depends on who you run up against. Not sure if thats a good thing, or not!<br /> Guess I don't mind sharing the boat with the in-laws...After all, I did take the daughter off his hands. Wait a minute...maybe he owes me!<br />Thanks again. Before I go, since I don't have a manual for this powerplant, what Brand of Sparkplug, and what gap do you recommend? Johnson Seahorse 9.9 Hp.<br /><br />Thanks, Kerry

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the misplaced question JB.<br />Michelle says "they'll ban you, if you don't follow the rules"!<br />I forgot that there are different forums for different topics. What can I say, I've had a computor since '96, but still don't know how to use it.<br /><br />Kerry

Paul Moir

Admiral

Use Champions in a Johnson or Evinrude. They seem to work a lot better than any other brand, belive it or not.<br />The '76 9.9hp takes a Champion UL81C, gapped at .030" The '77 and later ones take a different plug.<br /><br />Make sure you have all the required saftey equiptment on board. Canadian tire has a 'Complience in a Bucket' package pretty cheap. You need:<br />A life jacket for everyone onboard.<br />50' 'buoyant heaving line' - ie, poly rope.<br />1 oar/paddle or anchor with 50' of line<br />1 bailer (bucket or pump to scoop out water - a 4l Sparkling Springs jug with the lid cut off works really well).<br />1 waterproof flashlight or 3 flares (get the flashlight - it's far more useful, and much less dangerous!)<br />1 sound signalling device (the complience bucket comes with a whistle) - an airhorn is better.<br />Nav lights if operating in restricted visablilty (night/fog/eclipse). You need a bow light (red&green) and an all-around light (white on a pole).<br />You also need a 5BC fire extinguisher if you cannot demonstrate that you can throw your fuel tank overboard easily. Or have any permanant fueled devices aboard.<br /><br />Get yourself a service manual. It will save you money.<br /><br />Windy here today too (Dartmouth). What lake were you at?

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Paul: I'm 2 miles south of CFB Greenwood, N.S. We;re headin' out to Cloud Lake tomorrow.<br />I've got everything I need, regaurding the safety requirments. I realize I'm asking somewhat stupid questions, but if you don't know, you don't know...<br /> Thanks for the info on the plug, and gap...<br />I really appreciate all the stuff I am getting from these forums. Don't have a bow light though, yet..<br /><br />Seems I posted a question on the wrong forum, a bit ago. Boy did I feel stupid.<br /><br />Thanks again Paul.<br /><br />Kerry

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I'm glad they're going after the water TURDS (PWCs) with the operators permit. Almost every time I see those pesky things on the water my thoughts turn to homicide. The Ba$tards that operate most of them definately are in need of serious attitude adjustments.

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reassurance Jimmbo!<br /> Guess I'm a TURD (?). Sorry for asking such stupid questions. There are no stupid questions, I thought. Yeah, its my first boat/motor...again I apologise. I await with baited breath as the local DNR scoops me up for being an idiot.<br /> I've got an Emergency Medical Kit (on a 12 ft. Springbok) that the Toronto Fire Dept. would be envious of. I'm tryin' to do the right thing, as is my father-in-law.<br /> We'll have a good time tomorrow, anyway.<br />Thanks for your input. Its gotta be tough living in a land-locked province...<br /><br />Kerry

Paul Moir

Admiral

RattleSnake - You're already way out ahead of most boaters if you have the basic saftey equipment. A Medikit is a great thing to have.<br />I'm pretty sure that the Coast Guard, RCMP and local police are the only ones who have the power to fine, but I could be wrong.<br />Looks like tomorrow's going to be a nice day. Have fun!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Sorry rattle nothing personal. Maybe its just how Albertians operate the PWCs out here, like unbroken bulls. Very few have licenced them as is the law and almost none have any Idea regarding right of way, no wake zones, the law requiring an observer when towing, or the fact in order to tow you need a machine that has a minimiun capacity of three persons. None of that seems to apply in the eyes of the REDnecks of Alberta, probably cause it is a Federal jursdiction. If you are one of the few responsible PWC operators, I know you're definately not from Alberta. Like I said nothing personal. Any Peace Officer has the power to lay a charge. Out here, Wildlife Constabules can and do impound the machines

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Paul;<br />As you probably know, most new Boaters are (should) be a little leary of whats going on. I'm trying to do the right thing. My father-in-law follows the rules, to the letter. We've got back-up Batteries to back-up the Batteries, for the Minn-Kota! Flares from C.F.B. Greenwood AirBase, Phosphorous Night Stiks (12 hrs), and my pride and joy...a 10-Meter Hand-held Ham Radio, and a 10-11-12 Meter Portable/Base Unit that we carry when we're out hunting or fishing.<br /> I think we're going to be alright. Jimmbo considers me a water-turd (Newbie). I never knew it, but it seems I'm Pesky. You know, gettin' in the way, and stuff. Asking dumb questions, trying to find out the rules...<br /> We'll do alright Paul. Thanks for your input...Its much appreciated!<br />I never expected anything more from Jimmbo (Alberta), as they consider us a Welfare Province anyway. We're not real keen on Mr. Kline in this part of the Country. Thanks again, Paul, for your input..<br /><br />Kerry

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Hey, I hate Klein too. I don't consider Nova Scotia a Welfare Province. In fact I have more respect for the people there than i do for the people here. Per capita people in the Maritimes are tenfold more generous and charitable than Albertains any day of the week. BTW Waterturd refers to the PWCs not to the fact you're a Newbie. As I said earlier, it wasn't aimed at you, but at PWC operators based on what I have seen in this land locked province.

Rattle-

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Jimmbo;<br />Sorry for jumping on you, and Mr. Kline, as well.<br /> I tend to get a bit jumpy, as I'm not up to par on the Boatin' thing. I'm as Green as grass, when it comes to Boating. I'll do O.K. because my father-in-law, follows the law, to the letter. I will not operate the boat until I get my Card. I just don't like to get Lampooned as a goof, with a boat.<br /><br />Thanks Again,<br /><br />Kerry