NO FOAM PROBLEM?

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The floor was replaced in my 19' bayliner without any foam. Is there any danger in this? I find some boats have foam, and others do not. There does not seem to be a set standard. I have read all the strings related to foam but wonder if anyone has had any problems not having it?

ZmOz

Captain
Re: NO FOAM PROBLEM?

You won't really have any problems unless you start to sink. :) The main reason most boats have foam is so they don't sink completely, and can be recovered. It will also keep water from collecting in certain areas that would start to rot, but then again, when the foam gets old it can do the opposite - hold in the moisture and cause more rot.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just wanted to alleviate some niggling doubts I have as to the safeness of the boat. I don't plan on taking it too far from shore, but I do a lot of boating on Lake huron, a large lake.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

In addition to floatation, the foam does, if properly installed (completely filling the voids) provide structure to the boat. The boat can take harder hits in rough water and the foam deadends the hull, eliminating resonances from water and engine noise that can transmitt through the hull...

Boatist

Rear Admiral

If I ever take the floor out of my boat I will fill the floor with foam except right down the center. This way the boat will float level even if you poke a hole in it or leave the drain plug out.<br /><br />My family is worth the few extra bucks. if we hit something or break a under water fitting. <br /><br />I seen 3 boats sink completely when launched and pulled back along the dock. This happened in the time it took the owner to park his trailer and walk down the ramp. One of the three the guy holding the boat did manage to pull the bow up to the concrete ramp but the rest of the boat and engine was under the water. All three sunk because they forgot to put the drain plug in. They sunk before the owner could run back to his trailer and back it in.<br /><br />a 65 foot by 20 foot party boat sunk this year by taking on water while fishing 100 yards offshore out of San Francisco. This boat less than 5 miles from the Coast Guard station but sank before the Coast Guard boat or chopper got there. Luckly only one death as many other party and personal boats fishing the same area.<br />I hope your have good life jackets and a raft.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

2MADAKAT,<br /><br />Don't worry about it. Life jackets are more important.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ratfish, the family will definitely be wearing theirs when out with me, especially for peace of mind now.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Hate to say it, but people bobbing in lifejackets are difficult to see, more prone to hypothermia, the list goes on. A properly foamed boat does not sink. If done right, it still gives something large for the people to cling to, even still set in it, keeping out of the water as much as possible and creating a large visible thing for rescuers to see. I cringe everytime I see people so cavalier about their life and the peoples lives they are charged with when they take them out in their boat. Not to sound too preachy, but I feel better knowing that the people I take out will not be deliberatly exposed to a potential life threatening event because I didn't want to install foam.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

West Marine has stuff that you can mix and pour in a hole (similar to "Great Stuff")..not cheap though. Cant think of what they call it...

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

Four of the best friends to take out while boating...<br /><br />1) Life Jackets<br />2) VHF Radio (Fixed mount and Portable/submersible)<br />3) Flares (At least 1 smoke)<br />3) EPIRB (Expensive! A must for offshore boaters.)

Ralph 123

Captain

Very well said JasonJ - sometimes it easy to cut a corner w/o thinking about the potential consequences. We all need reminders sometimes.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

2MADAKAT<br />Pacific ocean here about 54 degrees in late summer. Our Coast Guard says have about 20 minutes until you get too cold to move after 30 minutes most will not survive. Younger kids do better than adults and older adults. In your location I bet water is even colder.<br /><br />The boat that sunk about 300 yards off Ocean Beach in San Francisco had 10 or more boats with in 1/4 mile. Everyone but one guy had time to put on a life jacket. Also Coast Guard station about 5 miles away still about 10 people hospitalized for Hypothermia. The guy that died is the one that did not put on his life Jacket. Boat is still on the bottom.<br />If you do decide to foam your boat do not use the two part foam from west marine, too expensive and to hard to work with.<br /><br /> http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a spray foam company look at it and tell me it's too late; should have been done before laying floor. Since I can't worry about it now, I will just have to live with it and always keep in mind how far out I go in the big lake.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by 2MADAKAT:<br /> I had a spray foam company look at it and tell me it's too late; should have been done before laying floor. Since I can't worry about it now, I will just have to live with it and always keep in mind how far out I go in the big lake.
WRONG-You don't spray the foam you pour it.(see Boatist's link) Foam is always installed after the floor is laid. You need to have holes to both pour the foam and for the foam to expand up out of, so you don't 'blow' the floor. It's the floor that forces the foam into all the nooks and crannies. After the foam cures, you can insert the plugs back into the floor and glass over them. <br /><br />You want the foam to adhere to the bottom of the floor. That is also part of the structural rigidity that it provides for the boat.<br /><br />The pro's and con's of foaming, and other alternatives, have been discussed at length in previous posts. Be a good idea to do a search and read up on them.

phatmanmike

Captain

Pacific ocean here about 54 degrees in late summer. Our Coast Guard says have about 20 minutes until you get too cold to move after 30 minutes most will not survive
geez, i am shure glad i live on gulf of mexico. its 88 degrees now, IN THE WATER!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

2MAD, all you need to do is use a 2 inch holesaw, cut holes every 2 feet or so between all stringers (depending on how many voids you are foaming-I am a big fan of leaving center bilge open). Elevate bow as high as possible. Mix and pour 2 cups (1 each part) of 2 part foam, pour into holes closest to transom. As foam rises to the hole, take the plug that was cut out with the holesaw and set it in the hole, place a brick or other weight on it to keep the plug from comeing out. Move on to next hole, repeat. Work your way from transom to bow, one stringer void at a time. Monitor your hull underneath, make sure it is not bulging. Take your time, make sure each mixed batch fully expands before pouring next batch. Raising the bow as high as possible allows the foam to expand while settling to its lowest point yet still expanding towards the bow. This ensure that the entire void ends up full, with no voids, and no bulging or distortion. If you do the pour with the boat level, you will not fill the entire void, you will just end up with foam mountains under the floor with large voids in between. Once you are done, you can 'glass the plugs in with a patch of mat or cloth, lay carpet, be done with it.

Link

Rear Admiral

2MADAKAT <br /><br />These guys won't steer ya wrong.<br />Poured in is for us DIY or very small boat builders. A lot of them out there BTW and that doesn't mean poor quality either.<br /><br />Boat manufactures use a pump (which I don't remember the proper name for) but it is also used in comerical buildings.. to spray in foam between walls to (like schools) deaden the sound as Jason said with boats. Same machine can spray or pour, just depends on the pressure and nozzel!<br /><br />There is a BIG difference between Great Stuff and Marine grade 2 part foam! My friend who builds schools uses a two part foam also but it is like Great Stuff! Can not compare! <br /><br />2MADAKAT<br />Consider yourself/myself lucky to have all this information at our keyboard.. :) <br /><br />JasonJ <br />As per a couple posts last year i actually did a test comparing different foams .. I will post the results later this year.. got into a lot of trouble with Mrs.Link.. she herself didn't like being woke up at 2am with fire alarms going off! <br /> :) :) <br /><br /><br />Link

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info. I only have two stringers worth to do, and they are only 5' long each.