Cleaning products

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All:<br /><br />I have a 89 VIP Victory that is in very good shape, but when you look close, it has waterspots--almost like calcium or hard water deposits.<br /><br />I can't rub off with fingers, and when I wash it, both with sponge and brush, the boat looks good until you look close and still see the little spots.<br /><br />I have not waxed it. In going to the marine dealers there are a myriad of cleaning products.<br /><br />Can someone recommend a "pattern" or a kit of what to do in order? As in what products do you use to wash, then remove the water spots, then wax, then after you get out of water, I suspect you can spray it down like I do our shower...<br /><br />Culling down from 100's of products to a few proven performers would help me out.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

detailer

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Cleaning products

hey murphini,<br /><br />there are several methods for removing hard water spots. always start with the mildest form, i suggest trying some distilled white vinigar (crazy, I know). <br /><br />make sure paint is cool and shaded<br />test a small area first<br />soak a cloth in vinigar<br />gently rub on surface in circular motion<br />let stand but not dry<br />rinse well<br />dry<br /><br />if spots are still there, try a mild/fine to medium cut rubbing compound (3M is good stuff), followed by a polishing compound, then a good wax. use an orbital buffer for compounding and polishing, then a good hand wax with a 100% carnuba or carnuba based wax.<br /><br />Good Luck<br /><br />P.S. if you wanna bring it to Edmond, OK I'll do it for ya ;)

BillII

Cadet
Re: Cleaning products

I have to admit I am one of those who sit back and read but have to answer this post because I had the same problem with my boat especially on the lower unit. My brother is a car body repair person and he said do not use that kitchen stuff on your boat as it will surely damage your clear coat and fast. My Ranger cost over 35k and I sure don't want to take any chances. I read about a guy that advertises on another site his name is Skeeter. He sells some stuff called Boat Restore and Wonderfoam. I am not a person to jump at every post I see about a product but this product has thread after thread of very positive posts on walleye central. So, long story short I bought some. Wonderfoam takes off the grim, waterspots and mineral deposits like nothing I have ever seen. I applied the restore which is a cleaner wax after I got the boat and motor clean and the boat looks new. I do put the restore on about every 3erd time out of the water but both products take no effort at all to use. Easiest clean up I have ever seen. Not sure if I can post the site I ordered it from but the mod delete it if they want. www.larsensales.com Good luck. Bill