1969 Evinrude & getting a new boat

mellocj

Seaman
Hi, I am new around here. I am looking to purchase a ski boat, this will be my first boat.<br /><br />There is a '69 Starcraft boat for sale with a 1969 75hp Evinrude outboard motor on it. The guy<br />says that the motor has quit working, that it simply won't start. I am proficient with car engines,<br />and wouldn't mind working on a project. <br /><br />Would an Evinrude motor of this age be too old to get documentation and parts for? Too expensive<br />to work on? Looking for some feedback, I am planning to go look at the boat this weekend. <br /><br />thanks-<br /><br />Mark

mellocj

Seaman
Re: 1969 Evinrude & getting a new boat

also, I might add, I am looking to be able to pull at least one skier behind the boat. I am new to this, any suggestions would be appreciated greatly!

alcan

Commander

Hi Mellocj<br /> Yes and no. If you want to go sking, then yes it will probably cost more to repair than it's worth. The ignit. module is a about $250. If you want an interesting project then it is more than do-able. Good luck and have fun.

alcan

Commander

75hp is enough for me to ski. But the real hot dogs wouldn't even think about it. I ski real slow on two skis.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Get the model number of the motor, they did not make a 75hp in 1969.

mellocj

Seaman

Thanks for the responses. I went to look at it today, forgot to get the model #. It is a 4 cylinder, two carbs. The guy says it has quit working because he thinks he was using a trolling battery with not enough power to crank it. I think I am going to purchase it and pick it up next saturday.

D

DJ

mellocj,<br /><br />Unless you just love to see old things run-PASS. That thing could nickel and dime you to death. And that advice is from an old OMC fan. The older v-4's were SERIOUS gas hogs, particularly the ones with the small gearcase.<br /><br />75 ponies is plenty enough to ski, on a light hull. I first skied behind an 18!<br /><br />Consider buying the hull and trailer,(if you REALLY like it) and repowering.

mellocj

Seaman

hmm djohns19, I think even without the engine I'll still be getting a decent deal. 18' Starcraft. Hull looked good, with good trailer with new tires, for $600. I like to tinker, and the engine looked fun to tinker with :) thanks and I'm sure you'll see some more questions from me soon

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Yo mello,<br />The first thing you're gonna need is a manual. Check here at iboats for a after-market manual or Ken Cook Marine Publications for a factory manual.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty