1969 55hp Johnson no spark??

CAMLEE

Cadet
Ok I will bring ya up to speed on the problem. 1969 55 Johnson 3cyl. Dad gave me the boat and motor I'm trying to get the motor running(the most important part)It sat for 2 years before my dad got it and then sat another 6mos. I started by buying a starter for it(gear was missing on old one and turns out the starter was bad too). Bought spark plugs battery and fuel line/gas tank. Tried to crank it would turn over but not fire. Checked fuel lines (internal) found the fuel connector on motor was clogged. Now the carbs get gas leaks out a little while cranking. Took spark plug out and grounded it to the engine block tried starting and didn't see any spark. This is when corm got involved. He had me check the points so I regapped them(they were not bad)and also checked the spring the prevents the motor from spinning backwards. While cranking before this I would sometimes get a spark while turning off the motor and also a backfire every now and again. Has not happened since I adjusted that spring.(backfire)I also noticed that after trying to crank the motor the neg battery line was getting very hot! So that's where I am now. Also the wiring harness( all the wires that run to the motor)is very shotty bare wire showing in several places(I've taped the spots with black tape). That's why I wanted another one. So that's my story hope it's not too boring and I hope to get this thing running before the snow falls. I'm very new to these boat motors so treat me like an idiot when explaining things. Thanks for everything. :rolleyes: