1970 EVINRUDE RUNS AND DIES

joejoe

Seaman
WELL ALL THE MOTOR NOW IS RUNNING FOR VERY SHORT PERIODS OF 20 TO 30 SECONDS THEN DIES, AFTER A CARB REBUILT. What should i try next, kencook promised by manuals by friday yee haw.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1970 EVINRUDE RUNS AND DIES

What have you done to it? What is the history?? Did you have another thread going on this engine that you dropped?<br /><br />Standing by. . . <br />JB :)

joejoe

Seaman

HI, NO THAT IS ANOTHER JOE THAT DROPPED THE MOTOR. I have rebuilt the carb at first it was flooding itself after the carb rebuilt. That prob was in the float adjustment. Got that taken care of now the engine will fire and run for up to 30 seconds then dies. then it takes for ever to get it re-started. Getting a real clean bright blue and yellow spark from the plugs. put on new fuel line hoses. but did re-use the old spring clamps that are not making a good snug connection at the fuel filter or on the inlet to carb. Could it be sucking to much air?. anyhelp appreciated. thx Joe

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Joejoe, Sounds like you solved your own problem.........put new stainless screw type clamps on all fuel fittings.<br />Backlash.

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi joejoe,<br />I posted a reply containing some ideas on troubleshooting this problem on the original thread that you first asked the question in.<br />Bill.......

joejoe

Seaman

THX BYORDY I WILL CHECK IT OUT. I HAVE PUT THE NEW STAINLESS STEEL HOSE CLAMPS ON IT STILL WONT RUN MORE THAN 30 SECONDS. i looked at the diafram fuel filter and it was all gummed up. i cleaned it all real well and noted that looks like there is a spring with a palstic tip on the end missing one of the springs are there but the other is gone. does anybody have a book handy to see if it takes 2 springs with plastic tips or 1. cant wait for my darn book. thx Joe

JB

Hi, Joe. It's almost certain that the "diaphram fuel filter" is the fuel pump, and that it is in dire need of a rebuild.<br /><br />You are taking about 30 sec. to burn the fuel you pumped into the carb with the primer bulb. If you keep pumping it she should keep running.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB :)

joejoe

Seaman

thx for the reply. I called the dealer he told me a rebuilt kit for that year is not avaiable. That the new diaphram fuel pump would cost $ 42.00 does that sound resonable. any ideals where i could purchase the rebuit kit?. any help appreciated thx Joe

JB

Hey, Joe. $42 is a bargain for a new pump.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB :)

joejoe

Seaman

Well here we go i installed a new fuel pump @ 42.00 bucks it is still doing the same thing runs for about 20 to 30 seconds and dies. I tried pumping the bulb to keep it going and that has no effect on it at all. What is the low speed and high speed adjustments supposed to be again? I have the low turned out at 1 1/4 turns from seated position and the high appx 1 turn out from seated position. any other things to look at?<br />Thx<br />Joe

joejoe

Seaman

upadate well finally got the motor running and it will restart within 10 pulls, it runs great high speed but it will not run well at half throttle or idle speed. it appears that we are making some headway. What would cause it not to run at half or idle throttle. <br />Thx <br />Joe

JB

Sounds like carb low speed circuit.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

joejoe

Seaman

BUMP DOES ANYBODY HAVE THE INITIAL ADJUSTMENTS ON THE LOW AND HIGH SPEED SETTINGS AVAIABLE. THX Joe

joejoe

Seaman

BUMP DOES ANYBODY HAVE THE INITIAL ADJUSTMENTS ON THE LOW AND HIGH SPEED SETTINGS AVAIABLE. THX Joe