prop swap

lobsterboy

Cadet
Looking for advice from all of the experts that frequent this forum. My prop is shot and I <br />want to get a new one. I have an evinrude 88SPL on an 18.5 offshore brand open fisherman,<br />center console boat. Total loaded weight around 2600 lbs. Current prop is 13 1/4 x 17. <br />Like to fish areas like the keys and also pull the family sking and tubing. <br />What RPM range does this motor operate best in? Does cupping make a difference?<br />any and all advice is appreciated.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer
Re: prop swap

lobsterboy, the trick to propping a boat out is to get as much pitch as you can and still maintain the recommended WOT rpm range. If you ski a lot, you will have to drop down in pitch to get more power out of the hole. Cupping makes the prop hold better. Most props are cupped. also progressive pitch props would be great too. I would talk to your local prop shop and get their input. You might be able to pitch up and get a prop with blowholes to help spin out of the hole. also cleavers give lift. OK I will stop because as you can see, props are like fishing lures. Too many variables for direct application.