getting armature back into housing of tilt/trim motor

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi all, <br /><br />I got me a 2nd hand tilt/trim pump and motor.. It was very dirty inside and out, so I undid the two bolts on the top and slide the motor off the pump.<br /><br />Unfortunatly for me, the armature stayed in the pump and now I am faced with getting the **** thing back into the housing with the bushes in place..<br /><br />normally there are two little pinholes in the top of the housing so you can hold the bushes in place with pins to slide the armature into place.. then release the bushes by removing the pins..<br /><br />The trim motor doesnt' have these holes and with good reason (water), so is there an alternative method of getting the armature back into place?<br /><br />I am not sorry its appart, there was an appaling amount of crud in there. but the workings look in good nick and there is heaps of meat on the bushes, so now its been cleaned and lubed,, I need to get it back in..<br /><br />any tips please people??<br /><br />The motor is for a 100 HP 72 Johnson, but all the motors from around that size and that year were the same.. (including the evinrude ones.)<br /><br />kindest regards<br /><br />Frank<br />Perth WA

russthemuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: getting armature back into housing of tilt/trim motor

Hey Frank,<br />Try tying the brushes in with a piece of cotten thread.Assemble and give it a spin to break the cotten

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great minds must think alike.. :)<br /><br />I did more or less that, found some cotton, (that was the hardest bit, I'm single)<br /><br />tied it to the base of the wires where they joined the bushes, then put the bushes right into place, and wrapped the cotton around the outside a few times to hold it in place.. then did the same with the other side. put the armature back into the pump, and slid the motor housing back onto both.. then I opened it up a few millimeters and slid my pocket knife sissors in and cut the cotton.. good stuff. <br /><br />worked great, what I didn't know when I write the last email was that the top cap on the housing came off as well, that was why I couldn't get the bushes in.. but I was taping it to see if it was just a tight thread or something, and it came right off.. <br /><br />fiddly, but I got it..<br /><br />the fluid in this thing was a milky pink color, so I am assuming that its got water or something in it,, is there an easy way to clean this thing or should I just disconnect the ram, and pump a heap of fluid though???<br /><br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Incidently.. should I be using tranny/powersteering fluid on this thing?<br /><br />I just bought a bottle of Caltex Dexron III Autotrans Fluid III<br /><br />would that stuff be ok??<br /><br />gonna try flushing it all out..<br /><br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank