needle valve sticking on 6hp johnson

sidthekid

Seaman Apprentice
this one is driving me nuts.ever time i shut off the motor and it sits awhile the needle valve sticks.i have taken the carb off several times, disassembled and cleaned it.even tho the motor is about 20 years old the carb is clean.no varnish. when i reassemble i can hear the float moving when i rotate the carb.so, on the motor it goes,and fires right up.has always been an easy starter.go for a run and the needle valve sticks again.now instead of taking the carb off i use my trusty wooden crab mallet and rap on the carb. fuel starts flowing and off we go.i'm really abusing my mallet here so how can i keep the needle from sticking.what may be causing it to stick?? thx for any help on this.....sid

Mr.Bill

Cadet
Re: needle valve sticking on 6hp johnson

To start with is the neddle in there now have a rubber tip or brass if its rubber replace it, if its brass and doesnt show wear its still a gamble. Buy a carb kit! ARE YOU SURE the neddle holder clip is in float arm correctly ?If not it will jam the neddle and not let fuel pass

Mr.Bill

Cadet

To start with is the neddle in there now have a rubber tip or brass if its rubber replace it, if its brass and doesnt show wear its still a gamble. Buy a carb kit! ARE YOU SURE the neddle holder clip is in float arm correctly ?If not it will jam the neddle and not let fuel pass.Also have you bent the float stop tab while disassembling so many times.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Sid.<br /><br />I agree with Mr. Bill. Sounds to me like you need a new needle, but it is still possible that you aren't assembling it to the float correctly.<br /><br />Check your manual for correct assembly.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

sidthekid

Seaman Apprentice

well i'm running out of mallets so i'll break down and grab a carb kit as long as i am checking needle installation. the information plate is missing, is there another way to determine exact year so i get the right kit. thx for all the amazingly fast responses.....sid