'90 EVINRUDE 150 XP WITH SOME SERIOUS PROBLEMS

RANGELINI

Cadet
I puchashed this last yearand have had some serious issues since.<br />1- when cold this engine takes me about half an hour to get it started.<br />2- it seems to have lost some speed towards the end of the season<br />3- it pulls very hard to the right regardless of any adjustments i make <br /><br />can someone please help me with my situation,<br />because i dont like some of the responses i got from a few mechanics<br />some say that these engines are known for carbon build up, and others have told me that it is loss of compression (when purchased 95lbs) what should it be ??<br />please respond or e-mial me , it would be greatly appriciated<br />thanks wopgod2000@yahoo.com

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: '90 EVINRUDE 150 XP WITH SOME SERIOUS PROBLEMS

What are the compression numbers now?

RANGELINI

Cadet

i have not tested since i purchased the boat as it has not really been an issue untill the last run of the season when it seemed to take longer to plane out. Then unfortunatly it had to be stored because of our lovely Canadian winters. <br />thanks for responding

clanton

Rear Admiral

The first step is visual inspection of engine for missing, broke,loose parts, after that compression test. This engine should have at least 100 psi per cylinder.

RANGELINI

Cadet

visually could not see anything (all looks good)<br />when doing my next compression test is there a proper way of doing them to outboards?<br />and if i am still reading 95 lbs, am i in troulble and if so what do i do?<br />are these engines known for carbon build up?<br />thanks Clanton :confused:

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI, I've seen outboards with compression as low as 75 lbs. OMC did not give an exact compression reading, they said compression should be within 15 lbs of its adjacent cylinder(s). I can tell you that if the compression goes below 65 lbs, that cylinder may will fire. As far as pulling to the right, there is a trim tab just above the propeller. If you move the back of the trim tab to the starboard, (to the right, when standing behind the motor)that should correct the problem, unless the lower unit is bent. With your hard starting problem, Do you pump the fuel primer? Do you push the key in to choke it? Is the primer/choke working? Do raise the throttle a little? Speed loss could be caused by numerous problems. Check the ignition system. Spark on all cylinders? Look at the electrode of the spark plugs, does one look different? It could indicate a problem in the cylinder you removed it from

RANGELINI

Cadet

Thanks for your input Iceman.<br />as for the steering tab ( i tried everything, and it does'nt look bent)<br />when i first puchased the boat, one of the steering pistons was seized and after 3 hours of slight tapping and a bottle of wd-40 along with some lithium grease it now moves freely untill it is all the way in, then it's a pain to turn oppposite way as it still sticks a bit.(could that be it?)<br />as far as priming, the ball does not seem to get rock hard, should it?<br />and how do you check to see if the chock works properly (yes i know how to see if it actually works) i mean according to spec.<br />thanks<br /> :confused:

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI, AH so you give more info now. Let's start here. Are you turning the steering wheel with force while the boat stands still? Or is this a problem when you are underway and the boat wants to turn itself to the right? you entioned one of the steerring pistone, is this a cable or hydraulic steering? The fuel primer ball will get firm, but not rock hard. The primer/choke is basically a solenoid, When you push the key in, in the run position, without cranking the motor, you should hear a click when you push the key in. Release the key and push again and it should click again. That tells you it's engaging. You can also check it with a test light to see if it's getting current. It's a little black round unit, with a red lever on it. I'm not exactly sure where on your motor, they had a few locations for it. Usually near the carburetors. There should be a purple/white wire connected to a screw on it. when the key is in run position, push the key in, the light should go on.

RANGELINI

Cadet

WHEN STEERING AT A STAND STILL, MOVES VERY FREELY RIGHT AND TAKES A BIT OF MUSCLE TO THE LEFT, BUT WHEN DRIVING YOU NEED TO KEEP ALOT OF PRESSURE TO LEFT SO THE BOAT DOESNT PULL RIGHT AND TRYING TO STEER LEFT IS A CHALLENGE IN IT SELF (IT IS A CABLE SYSTEM)<br />AND AS SOON AS OUR FAVOURABLE CANADIAN WINTER DECIDES TO LET UP A LITTLE I WILL CHECK THE CHOKE ALONG WITH COMPRESSION.<br />SOMEONE TOLD ME COMPRESSION FOR THIS MOTOR SHOULD BE AROUND 125LBS (IS THIS TRUE ?)<br />sorry for yelling guys and girls did not notice untill i was done

BernieZ

Recruit

I have the same 'rude and had the same starting problem. It would take forever to start when cold. The starting sequence is critical. I followed DHadley's advice and the motor starts fine. <br />Try these 4 steps<br />1. Pump the bulb<br />2. Turn the key to the "on" position<br />3. Push in the key to open the primer and count to 8 or so<br />4. Turn the key to the start position<br />Good luck and let me know if it works.

RANGELINI

Cadet

Thanks BWZ,<br /><br />I'm glad someone out there has the same motor with some of my difficulties, thanks for responding and i hope that you and the others here will guide me through some of the rough waters i face ahead.<br />thanks again :)

BernieZ

Recruit

Check DHadley's reply under Skeeterbuilts thread posted 3/25