Johnson Sea Horse 4HP

SantafeMOfish

Recruit
I just bought this 4 horse Johnson at an farm auction. It has no title an was hoping someone could give me some history on these engines. Model# 4W76M Serial# E4373402 How old is this motor? It has no transmission when you pull the starter the prop starts turning also. Thanks for your help.

boatmotor

Seaman
Re: Johnson Sea Horse 4HP

Howdy Your motor is a 1976. It has direct<br />drive. Once you start motor it is ready to<br />go. Tom

SantafeMOfish

Recruit

Tom, thanks for the info. I gave them $70.00 for the motor. It doesn't look it has been used 10 hours. The paint below the prop is barely marred. I slapped it on my 10 foot flat bottom and it ran like a speed boat.<br /> Dan

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey Guy!! You're just trying to make me jealous!! :D <br /><br />Glad to see someone get a great deal. We get to talk to so many who got. . . um, ah, something else.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB :)

SantafeMOfish

Recruit

Thank you JB. Was kinda nice getting a bargin. I'll use it on small lakes up here in Northern MO. There are a lot of them where I can carry that 10 footer into and this little motor is just right.<br /> Dan

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you're uncertain of the motor's service history, one thing I would do before you use it too much would be to replace the water pump impeller. They can dry out and rot with age and a new one is cheap insurance. They can be had at an OMC dealer, or even NAPA for under $15.00 and take about 15 minutes to replace. The impeller is located in the bulge between the gearfoot and the mid-section. Remove the lower unit (four bolts and drop it from the motor. Remove the o-ring at the top of the driveshaft. Remove the two screws on top of the impeller housing and HOLDING DOWN on the driveshaft, pull up the impeller housing and impeller. If you pull the driveshaft out, it can be a pain to put it back in as the pinion gear may shift. Keep track of the drive pin/key. Clean up the impeller base plate with a solvent (I use lacquer thinner) and the base of the impeller housing. Install the new impeller and reverse the procedure. Make sure to grease the top of the driveshaft spines and replace the o-ring in its groove. It'll take a little finesse, but the hardest part of the whole procedure is usally lining the splines back up into the driveshaft. <br />Have fun!<br />- Scott

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Take Chinewalker's advice seriously...don't compromise your motor by assuming looking new means new. A 1976 vintage motor, though hardly used, still needs regular check ups!<br /><br />Say Chinewalker (Scott)...<br /><br />You wouldn't happen to have your own webpage, would ya? I think I've seen you on Ebay too...<br /><br />Walt

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Walter,<br /> Yep! That be me! Just found the iboats forums recently and took the plunge...<br />- Scott