85 h.p. Johnson Help please.....

ehenry

Commander
I've had this engine given to me. I heard it run several years ago on muffs but I'm unsure of what year model it is.<br /><br />Model # - 85593<br />Serial #- j0007837<br /><br />These numbers were found on a tag on the transom mount on the left side of the engine. I've heard the terms cross flow and loopers. I don't know what those terms mean. Just trying to find out what I';ve got. Thanks in advance.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 h.p. Johnson Help please.....

85593 sounds like a 1975 85 HP Evinrude number if I remember correctly. Should be a crossflow V4.<br /><br />Good luck and enjoy!

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you pull the heads you can get a good look at the cylinders. The gaskets will only run you around $30. It will be a good investment and give you a good idea of the shape of the motor, plus eliminate the possibility of a compression leak there. You defintely want to rebuild the carbs. Just my 2 cents.

ehenry

Commander

Thanks, Dhadley. The guy that gave it to me said that the last time he tried to run it on the water it wouldn't reach a plane and just bogged down. He said it would idle fine. I'm thinking trashy carbs and possibly a fuel line and pump problem. I have a new line, bulb and tank that I'm going to try. Any other suggestions will be welcomed.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Before you try it, clean the carbs, install new carb kits, install a new water pump kit and pull the heads and install new head gaskets and deflectors.<br /><br />Good luck!

ehenry

Commander

I'm learning here so please be patient with me. Why would I need to pull the heads and install new head gaskets? What points you in that direction? I totally understand the water pump impeller and kits for the carbs.

ehenry

Commander

I guess I'd better get a shop manual for it then. I've had a 76 model 115 and done carbs and water pumps before. Never had the heads off one. I'm a little leary of that.

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

pulling the heads is pretty simple, about 16 bolts. You don't need to pull the water covers off if they aren't leaking. The head bolts are the larger ones. Just take your time so as not to strip any threads.

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

I think that you can also use the 76 manual for most of the jobs that you will want to do, such as the torque specs. on the head bolts, and the proper tightening sequence. there wasn't a whole lot of differance between these two engines.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Once you get the heads off change the deflectors. 4 (2 on each side) little rubber hose pieces in the water jacket. Probably the easiest of the tasks mentioned.<br /><br />Good luck!