Need help!!!

NathanY

Commander
I need a fuel pump kit for a 1969 Evinrude 9.5 HP Model 9922S. Have been looking everywhere and can not find one. Can anyone help?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help!!!

Nathan.... Rebuilding those tiny things will drive you to drink, waste time, make your hair fall out, and cause an increase in vulgar vocabulary. I have a couple new complete fuel pumps in my remaining stock. They list for around $48.00. I'd sell one for $32.00 which includes shipping. If you're interested, contact me at "ReevesJ32@aol.com" without the quotes of course.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Cornwell.... That's the second time you've had something degrading to say. What seems to be your problem. I'm here to help whoever whenever I can, and with thirty some years experience in the Evinrude/Johnson line, I think I can speak with some authority. If you have something to offer in the way helpful advice, that's one thing. If you find it impossible to do so without inserting some snide remark to another user, that's another. I've been giving helpful advice on various sites for some time now and it's obvious that it's been appreciated. Frankly I don't need the aggravation that you seem to enjoy delivering and as of this moment..... as I've seen written many times, I'm outta here!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

C'mon, Joe. Quit sounding like a ripoff service manager. Your price is good on the new pump, but that is not what this boater asked for.<br /><br />Nathan. It is a simple and inexpensive job. Get a manual at the library and call Twin Cities Outboard in Minneapolis. They have stuff that never existed. <br /><br />Joe's price is very good if you want to spend more and save a little work.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

comeon guys,,, there is room for more then one opinion on this site.. <br /><br />I have seen both of you help countless people with good advice.. and you are both definate godsends for the users on this BB.. <br /><br />One of you think that the pump isn't worth rebuilding and the other thinks it is.. big deal... now he can make his choice...<br /><br />As I understand it, that price is pretty **** good.<br /><br />Mr Joe, if you have a full waterpump for a 100ESL72 in stock, I'm interested.<br />(pretty small in size so I don't imagine that extra shipping would amount to to much.)<br /><br />I had heard that the smaller fuel pumps were a pain to rebuild as well, but without having tried, I can't comment.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with Frank. <br /><br />You guys (JB & Joe) are among the best contributors on this board and have helped a huge number of people. I'd hate to think that either of you would opt out of here due to a disagreement. It would be a big loss for all of us.<br /><br />It's obvious that there's no "single" correct answer to many questions. Different people have different approaches to the same problem and it's great for the rest of us to think through the various alternatives offered. <br /><br />How boring things would be if we all agreed on everything !

JB

Joe: <br /><br />No offense intended, sir. We may disagree about the value of steering a member toward or away from a fairly simple and inexpensive repair in favor of replacing parts.<br /><br />I, too, have been using and repairing engines for 30-40 years, but as a consumer and educator rather than a vendor. I have always preferred to fix rather than replace.<br /><br />Perhaps that gives us different perspectives.<br /><br />Peace?<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

CAPTBLACKSMARINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK NOW FOR THE RIGHT ANSWER! LOL ..SERIOUSLY IF IT WERE MINE I WOULD CHOOSE TO REPLACE IT RATHER THAN FIX IT ,BUT THAT HAS ALOT TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT MY TIME IS WORTH MORE THEN THE COST OF THE NEW PUMP.I GUESS THAT IS A QUESTION THAT "NATHANY" ALSO NEEDS TO DECIDE .I TOO HAVE A NUMBER OF YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH THESE MOTORS AND BELIEVE THAT IF HE HAS NEVER REBUILT ONE OF THESE PUMPS IT WILL TAKE HIM A WHILE TO DO SO FOR THE FIRST TIME,AND IF HE DOE'S NOT HAVE A SERVICE MANUAL (A FACTORY ONE),AND HE TAKES THIS PUMP APART,HE WILL MORE THEN LIKELY HAVE A PROBLEM GETTING IT BACK TOGETHER CORRECTLY.AND THEN AGAIN IF HE DOE'S GET IT RIGHT WAS IT WORTH IT THAT IS UP TO HIM .. SHOULD HE SPEND AROUND $12 AND 1-2 HOURS OF HIS TIME OR $35 AND 10 MIN OF HIS TIME. IT IS UP TO YOU "NATHANY" .......OH YES I DO NOT THINK IT WAS THE DIFFERENCE OF OPINION THAT GOT JOE RUFFLED ,I BELIEVE IT WAS THE ATTITUDE BEHIND IT ,OR ATLEAST THE WAY IT SOUNDED WHEN IT WAS READ... HAPPY BOATING EVERYONE!

JB

Yes, CBM, you are right. The "ripoff service manager" phrase sounds kinda snotty. I should have read it again before I posted.<br /><br />BUT, I was irritated by the patronizing tone of "you don't wanna do this. . . . .". A pro NEVER tells a client what he wants or doesn't want.<br /><br />You do make a point I agree with. If I am hiring you to fix the problem, the price of a new pump is less than having you overhaul it at $50 to $80/hr. Even if it includes the one hour minimum labor charge.<br /><br />Just keep in mind that comparing $12 or $15 plus a couple of hours of my time to $32 for a pump is not realistic if you are going to do the work. It's more like $15 and a couple of hours vs. $80 to $100, if I am lucky.<br /><br />Thanks for the input.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)