Evinrude 7.5 blues

derwood

Chief Petty Officer
got an 83' Evinrude 7.5 to go on the back of my 12' john boat. It ran terrible at first, buckin and bouncen around. just sad. I replaced the spark plugs and tried to ajust the fuel mix. no luck there. Took a trip down the Chasahowitzka river to go fishing at the mouth at the gulf. Within sight of the fishing hole she quit. with me i had two small creasnt wrench's and a phillips screwdriver.( now tell me that's just not begging for it.)took out the plugs and messed with everything i saw, nothing. at the time i did not know what the black box on the side of the motor was but i was blisterd, worn out and majorly pissed off. so i smacked it with the creasent wrench... then i pulled it one last time before showen some leg and sticken out my thumb,it started. It got me back to the dock (barely). I called up the local tiller doctor and he told me what i smacked and how much it cost (##@%!*&#) Won't be smacken that again. He said that i should check all of my connections and wires. i took of the power pack and the coils and cleaned up the grounds at both, now it runs a lot better but not perfect. it still has a small bounce but nowhere near like it was. it will run at its lowest part in the slow setting for a while but when i put it in forword most times it will shut off and it goes up and down in rpm's. It will surge when going fast to but i haven't run it since i cleaned up the grounds so we will see. sorry to be so longwinded but i figure if i explain it well i will get more info. on what might be causeing my problems. thank's for not going to sleep on me and will be glad for any advice.

Allan19603hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Evinrude 7.5 blues

Howdy,<br /> I know I hate when that happens to me, i had it happen when i was 14.. You could imagine the words from my mouth... WEll anyways.. the item you smacked sounded like a powerpack to me, yeah they sure aint cheap. The bucking you describe sounds as if it could be a carb problem or dirty fuel line etc.. Make sure all the wires are in tact I had a field mouse inside the motor a few years ago and chewed the wires clean off a coil.. Well back to it.. The low idle and then stalls when engaged into forward is a sign of the idle speed needing adjusted, could also be dirt in the carb or even varnish.. Id say run it again with everything cleaned up and if she does it still then tackle the carb..<br /><br />Let me know if you need more help, my e-mail is gra6961@usa.net

D

DJ

I agree with Allan. The fuel system is the easiest to make sure it's all clean and you have good fittings, etc. Don't spray carb cleaner into this engine. It's better to take it apart and clean it up. Not too bad on a kicker like that. Make sure you have good plugs-I would recommend Champions.<br /><br />Next time take the proper tools, namely a hammer. You can hit it harder and let the smoke out of it. Then you'll KNOW why it doesn't run-LOL. :D

Allan19603hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have seen alot of these problems solved with a simple carb rebuild.. In fact i have carb kits for most motors on hand.. Some of my evening projects are just that, cleaning a carb... I DONT use carb cleaner when on the motor too much of a chance of washing away the oil.. also CHAMPIONS are the best I have also had good luck with AC but i stick with champions. Any more questions let me know, and keep me informed.. Gra6961@usa.net<br /> By the way Djohns is right take a hammer next time.... :)

petryshyn

Commander

derwood<br /><br />The first thing you got to do is determine if its a fuel or ignition problem. Next time it won't start, try adding some fuel directly into the carb intake(use a squirt can) if that doesn't help, check for spark..pull a plug wire and install an old plug to the wire. Hold the plug tight to the block and pull it over checking for spark...<br />Until you determine if its fuel or ignition, its all just guessing.....

D

DJ

Allan,<br /><br />Got a carb. bowl for a 90? See my post.

D

DJ

Schematic,<br /><br />What are you trying to do to this poor guy. "hold the spark plug and pull it over".<br /><br />If it does have spark, he'll "poof" his pacemaker for sure. LOL :D

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys, i have been on a few forms but this one seems to be the best. I took allens advice and did the carb cleaning today after work. i read your replys this morning and it has been on my mind all day so i just could not wait. its funny how you can come buy an old motor and only after something goes wroung (next day in my case) that the motor will talk to you and rat out it's previous owner. the man that sold it to me said that it ran fine.... Only after i had a problem did i see it's history. It has gotten very hot at some time or another because the back side of the p.pack has been melted slightly. not enough to hurt it seems but it was afecting the ground . i noticed that the top coil's ground wire is frayed at the point where it goes into the coil. that needs to be taken care of so i am going to try to fix that next. there is a plastic three bolt cover right above the head that was also damaged buy heat pretty badly so i filed it down a hair to make it flat again and melted a sandwich baggy into the bubble holes to make it flat again. I can't figure what this is for though. is there suppose to be a heat sensor or something in there to shut the motor off if it gets to hot? if so it is long gone and would explain a few things. if you have not guessed i am haveing to magiver alot of things here. I try to make things work as well as posible until the money tree blooms again.(fat chance) i fixed a 1954 johnson 3 hp light twin two cylinder a few months back and it runs like a top. next i have a johnson 70 hp to fix but that i won't be able to magiver to much because it has been murderd. thanks again for the feedback and i can't wait to here from you all again real soon. Derwood

Allan19603hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Derwood,<br /> Yes I know what you mean isnt it funny how a little mechanical item such as a motor can rat out its owner, I would also check and make sure your motor is still discharging water.. Let me know how it runs again, chances are if it has been overheated, and with the symptoms you explain it could have a partially blown head gasket or even a warped head, depending how hot it got.. LIke i say if you need anymore advice give me a e-mail gra6961@usa.net.. I will try to get you through this situation.. By the way I also have a lightwin 3 hp What a GREATTT motor, thats all i can say, simple but excellent.. Keep me posted.. If you happen to need any parts let me know, I have access to many parts..<br /><br />Thanks again

D

DJ

Derwood,<br /><br />You're on your way, look evertything over. Change the water pump too. I think the plastic cover may be the thermostat.<br /><br />I also own lightwin 3. Just restored it for my dad. Sweet!!!