Need help with 1965 Evinrude 75

roostmx

Cadet
What symptoms would a blown head gasket show. Engine will run for a second and die. Have checked and rebuilt carb, fuel pump, replaced hoses, etc. I feel certain this is not a fuel problem having rebuilt the entire system which looked very good to begin with.I have spark. Was running great then died. Wouldnt restart, then suddenly did. Ran a minute or so then died. Ever since just runs a short period (few seconds at most) then dies. I looked in the spark plug hole on the starboard side and the pistons appear wet. The port side doesnt appear the same. Any help would be appreciated. The engine is old, however is in very good shape. I'm going to do a compression test today. What pressure should the cylenders read??? Thank you for your help in advance.

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Need help with 1965 Evinrude 75

Best check for spark on all cylinders first. If good, try supplying fuel to each carb using pre-mix and a squirt can.<br />If it runs better with raw fuel squirted in carb, its a fuel issue (carb, filter, lines, pump etc.)<br />Compression should fairly even from one to another (within 10% of each other) somewhere between 90-130psi (even is more critical)

Allan19603hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Need help with 1965 Evinrude 75

sounds like a fuel problem, I have seen this same symptom on chainsaws, when a seal is bad.. but when you say WET. do you mean with gas or water?? let us know the compression numbers and if you need any further help GIve me an e-mail.<br />gra6961@usa.net<br /><br />Allan