Hydrofoils

underwater

Cadet
Someone suggested the installation of hydrofoils to help stablize and possibly help with speed. Which would be the best to get for my 90 hp Johnson outboard? Thank ya'll for all the info it is very helpful to the guys like me!
biggrin.gif

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hydrofoils

Hi, Under. I have a SE Sport on my Suzi 70 4 stroke, and a StingRay on my son's Merc 90 2 stroke. Both are on Boston Whaler Montauk 17s. Hole shot feels better on both of them. My boat gained 3 mph top end and my son's gained 2 mph. (The Suzi is heavier than the Merc).<br /><br />I would call either of them a good buy. We got them at Cabelas.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'm kinda partial to the King Fin since I designed it but they all work to some degree. The secret to any of them is the X dimension (engine height). They allow the motor to be mounted higher and therefore reduce drag. The result is increased overall performance and extended engine life. <br /><br />The King Fin was not intended to be used on smaller (70 HP and lower) engines or on stern drives (can't easily raise the X dimension). You won't believe how high you can mount the motor and how good your boat will run. <br /><br />Good luck!

Mikael-Block

Seaman

DHADLEY<br />You say raise the engine ( x-dimension).<br />Do I have to do that ?.<br />I have a 16" with a Mariner 75 hp. The boat is rated for max 50 hp.<br />It a liltle heavy in the back and at trolling speed, steering is very bad.<br />Would a Hydrofoil give any credit ?.<br />Mikael