1958 johnson v4 -50hp

cgrim10

Cadet
i got a good one for the crowd.<br /> i have a 1958 seahorse v4 50hp, and i have exhaust gases covering the top of the lower unit and water pump assembly, from the bottom, i can see the inner exhaust tube and seal, they are intact. but what connects to the bottom of that inner tube? is it exhausting above water? i have only run it in a barrel. and in the rear of the inner exhaust tube on the lower unit side of the<br />seal, there are two look to be manufactured holes. are these supposed to be there? that is a leak above the water. i know exhaust gases get hot, and could probably burn these types of holes, but it doesn't look right.<br /><br />any info appreciated.<br /><br />craig

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1958 johnson v4 -50hp

Hi Craig G, How are you. <br /><br />So you have a good one do you? I have a better one. I have a service manual for your motor and you don't. Ha ha. Sorry just had to get that out of my system. Anyway, I'm not sure exactly what your are trying to say. It looks like in the book the exhaust tube is bolted in place at the top and has a seal about half way down. There is a picture of the inner exhaust tube, it's showing the back side where the two water tubes come down. However it does not show any holes in it. You can't always depend in the pictures either. It would make sense that there are exhaust relief holes in the tube, because they wouldn't need the small rubber tube in the rear of the engine connecting to the outer cover. It sounds like you motor is OK, unless you are getting exhaust gases into the powerhead area of the engine.

Cut n' Jump

Seaman

I had one of those and man 50 is a big underrating. It runs like a 70 at least. Don't worry about the exhaust just make sure the water pump works. Those o-rings at the top of the water tubes like to leak. Make sure plenty of warm water comes out that exhaust hole in the back. Make sure the motor mounts are good. Mine went through 2 dog clutches before I realized the motor would jump outta forward under acceleration. What I mean is make sure the powerhead/lower unit assembly doesn't rock seperate from the case.If it does it pulls the shifter toward nuetral. Reverse will push it farther in gear. Looks like they got that one backwards. Oh yeah don't mix non detergent motor oil at 25-1 either even if the sticker says so! Go between 32-1 or 50-1 with some GOOD 2 stroke oil. Your plug wrench will last alot longer. Maybe the reason these 50's are still around is because of that sticker? Mine ran perfect at 50-1. If the motor has sat for awhile check out that exhaust stuff while replacing the water pump impeller. I think theres a rubber gasket at the bottom of the exhaust tube. I don't remember for sure but I think mine bubbled exhaust up the outer case after replacing all the seals. It even got to the powerhead area...no big deal.That water hole in back shot some exhaust with it too I think. Good luck with your awesome motor. Oh yeah I think the exhaust runs out the hole near the prop. I don't remember any holes in the exhaust tube but heck , I'd rather have the motor case filled with bubbles than straight water. That would equal less weight :) lol

alcan

Commander

Hello craig G.<br />I looked through my stuff and can not confirm your holes. But I have many service bulletins from that era, suggesting drilling such holes for a few reasons. To improve cooling of a certin place, to improve idle, etc. I did not find anything on your year\model. I'am going with Iceman on this one,I think your OK. As for the exhaust gas all over question goes. Your running an old V4 on 24:1 in a barrel at idle(or just above). From my expirence, your going to have unburned fuel\oil all over the place. Any way get her runing good and have fun.

cgrim10

Cadet

thanks for all the help. the motor is 99.99% original, everything is on it. as for what cut n'jump said about there being a seal at the bottom of the inner tube, thats what baffles me. there isn't. it is a void from the bottom of the tube thru the housing extension(longshaft} to the lower unit. my 1958 35hp has a short shaft, and it does have a seal there. not this one though.<br />here is a pic from the bottom looking up, i don't see where a seal ever was? <br /> it is a fast one huh? i liked this motor when i saw it, i have had a 58' 35hp seahorse for 14 years, ain't giving it up!!!!!
8976020-a438-02000180-.jpg

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi again, I'm going to try to put the picture from the service manual with this post, First time I tried it. so we'll see what happens. As far as it looks, the inner tube does not sit on anything, it just ends in the opening. Sorry couldn't figure out how to do it, but contacted Iboats. They should let me know.

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI again,So I sent an e-mail to iboat. THe person sent me back the address to read the thing I read already, So I read it again. Still don't know how to put the picture in the post. I could fax it to you if you'd like or you can tell m e how to get in in the post, since you put a picture in, I should be able to also

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The way to put in a picture is fairly simple..<br /><br />you need to have hosting space on a web server.. you upload the picture to the web server and put the address to the picture you uploaded into the box when it askes you where the picture is..<br /><br />if you don't have hosting space, I don't think you can do it..<br /><br /><br />why not just email the picture??<br /><br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

cgrim10

Cadet

i am not as well versed as some in the computer, but here goes.... <br />go to www.clubphoto.com register (its free)<br />and then create photo albums, with pics on your computer. it is a temporary storage facility type situation, see, thats my perception of the whole thing. create your own albums. then select a picture that you have saved in an album, rightclick and go to properties, you will see the url (address)of that photo. rightclick, copy the url, come to this board, reply to, or start new topic, in the toolbars up top. it says "image" or add image<br />paste the url there, and then post the reply.<br />i don't see a preview button, but it will let you edit your post. hope this helps.<br />if it don't, well, just start cuttin bait. :p <br /><br />craig

alcan

Commander

Hi Craig<br />Your pic looks good to me. I don't see a problem. Thank you for the tips on posting pictures.

Cut n' Jump

Seaman

I had the short shaft version. I seem to remember some kinda rubber seal somewhere that leaked exhaust but its been a long time. Good luck with it and check those motor mounts real good. Gently pry the motor with a big screwdriver being careful not to damage anything. You may be able to just wiggle it by the exhaust housing if its tore down. If it moves the shifter with the cable hooked up replace them. I think they are the same as any 60's model v4 because I got some used ones from a '68 Johnson 75 horse[I think]. I always wanted to figure out a way to put 4 carbs on mine but never did. I had it on a 14 ft Glastron that was like a deep v in front and a flat bottom in back. People always said thats a big motor for that little boat and I'd tell em its just a 50. The only part I hated was lifting that heavy motor instead of pushing a button.

wippb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're still interested this is how you would post a picture on this here board. Hope it helps

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, so here goes, I'm close, lets see if you get the picture.
8988688-197f-006A0080-.jpg
OK so if you have a microscope you can see it. SO if someone knows how to make it bigger, Let me know, Thanks. Anyway, I can download it to you if you want