oceanpro 225 regulator

jimmy0

Recruit
Hi I have an evinrude 225 and the voltage regulator han burnt out for the fourth time now. both batteries were replaced, all cables, tachometer,and battery switch were also replaced. Evinrude is now blaming it on the added weight of my hard top, or me not trimming correctly causing the motor and regulator to overheat. they also are telling me that this is the last regulator they will warrenty for me so any info you can give me on this problem will be much appreciated.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: oceanpro 225 regulator

Are you trimming it to high and causing the overheat alarm to sound?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

This is the same problem other people have posted about. It happens to some engines but not all. The regulator / rectifier is designed to be water cooled. The block is trapping air at the top of the water cavity where the reg / rec is mounted. The reg / rec will not cool properly in air. When it overheats it eventually shorts out (that's when you lose the tach) and if left unrepaired it is possible for the wires to catch on fire. <br /><br />To get rid of the air pocket simply vent the top of the block. This will cure the problem. No matter how much the boat weighs!<br /><br />Good luck!

jimmy0

Recruit

No i do not trim it high and the overheat alarm never went off.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The cause of the reg / rec failure is not due to trim angle or weight. The air pocket or hot spot is due to the fact the block is not completely filling with water. It is this trapped air that allows the reg / rec to overheat. Simply give the trapped air a way to escape and your problem will be solved.<br /><br />Good luck!