Motor info needed

Speedking

Recruit
I need some information on a outboard motor. It's blue and white and has evinrude on the engine shroud. The tag on the motor clamp says johnson. The model number on the tag says OD20 with a serial number 282843. The motor looks to be about a 10hp but I am not sure. I was hoping someone out there would know the year,size and the oil mixture for this motor. Thanks in advance!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Motor info needed

Howdy, Speedking. If that number is really QD-20 you have a 1959 Johnson 10 HP with an Evinrude bonnet.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Speedking

Recruit

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I will have a closer look at the model number to see if I am mistaken. I have a little trouble with the motor being that old. I have a 1968 Evinrude 40hp and the bonnets and very similar. I figure the motor was late sixites to earlier sevenites. It there anyway that could be possible?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Speedking. My chart stops at 1964, so I couldn't tell you any more about the model.<br />You said you thought it was a 10. What changed your mind?<br /><br />If it is a QD20 the book calls for 24:1 mix, but with modern oils you can probably get by with 32:1, but watch temp carefully.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Speedking

Recruit

If it's any help the motor has fisherman across the panel where the motor controls.