Evinrude 85 HP electric gears fault

Rodneyl

Recruit
I have a late 70's Evinrude 85 HP with pushbutton gear selection on the remote control box.<br />Recently I have been unable to select Neutral. The motor starts and runs in "forward", and will correctly select reverse, but selecting neutral has no effect.<br />Is it possible to adjust something in the remote control or the motor to rectify this.<br />(The remote looks like a sealed unit....is it possible to open it?)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 85 HP electric gears fault

Evinrudes from 1973 on were manual shift. I suspect you have something around 1969 to 1972. There have been several posts lately about these hydro-electric shift gearcases. Here's where to start -- since you have no trouble with reverse I suspect you have the correct lube and it's free of water. Find the wires going to the lower unit (a green and a blue) and with the motor off and the key in the "on" position check for power as follows -- no power to either wire is forward -- 12 volts to one wire (green I think) is neutral -- 12 volts to both is reverse.<br /><br />If you check the power then you can determine if the problem is in the push buttons or not. Check for power as described and let us know what you find and we will go to the next step.<br /><br />Good luck!

Rodneyl

Recruit

Thanks Dhadley......I have found the wires, it is difficult to distinguish colours as they are pretty black and on cleaning they look rather similar! In any event I have established that with the push buttons in reverse there is current in both, in neutral there is current in one and in forward there is current in none.<br />What do we do now?<br />Regards Rodney

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure you have the correct gear lube? If you got lube for a late 70's motor then it's different. Also check the lower unit for water in the oil.<br /><br />When was the last time it worked correctly? <br /><br />If you are sure you have the correct lube and it's free of water we have to take the unit off and get into the gearcase. Get a service manual before you start. <br /><br />Let us know about the lube first.<br /><br />Good luck!

Rodneyl

Recruit

Thanks again,<br />I honestly dont know whether I have the correct lube....It was replaced about 18 months ago (not by me) and I use the boat very seldom, but the problem doesn't go back that far (I think!).....It still changes very effectively between forward and reverse...is that not a good sign??<br />If I'm unsure of the lube should I not replace it anyway? or would it be wasted if I eventually have to open it up anyway?<br />I do have a manual and have established that the motor is a 1972 model.