question on 1968 65hp jhonson

deldertf

Cadet
im having a problem getting the motor to fire i think it is the amplifier but after reading the maual that i have i was wondering if a faulty saftey switch could cause the problem that would make it act like the amplifier was bad by not alowing the motor to fire if so how do i check this part the maule is a little hard to understan what thay are saying to do

alcan

Commander
Re: question on 1968 65hp jhonson

Hi Del<br />The safety switch would disable the starter circut. The engine would not turn over. If you will post your email address I will send you some test procedures that may be easier to understand. Odds are the amplifier is toast. You already know what they cost. There are guys that say they have used automotive boxes. I have never seen it done. They also use an automotive coil. Do a search of this board on this system both 3 and 4 cylender motors of this era. There have been several interesting threads written on this subject. I feel that it is easier to come up with the bucks and use stock equipment. One of the problems with these motors is the wiring looms are shot. They tend to look good for the most part. But they disingerate to green dust when probed. If your electrical system is not in tip top shape (including batt) you will be looking for amplifiers often.