Help on decision making.....

texacana

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everybody!!! I came across a 1993 90hp Johnson engine... It was offered to me for $1100.00 fully rig plus my 1985 50hp Evinrude. I don't know much about engines and would like to hear your opinions about this deal. I own a 15' Skeeter bass boat which is rated for a maximum of 80hp... <br /><br />Is the 90hp Johnson a good engine? Will my boat handle the weight and the power of the 90hp Johnson? <br /><br />Any input will be greatly appreciated.. thanks a bunch....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help on decision making.....

Don't overpower, Texacana.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

texacana

Seaman Apprentice

Hi! JB, <br /><br />Would 10HP over the max rated horsepower really make that much difference!!! The transom of my boat is pretty solid... And I'm hoping that the manufacturer of my boat makes the transom at least 10 to 15% more stronger than the indicated max HP..... :) thanks JB.....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Texacana. I doubt that 10 more hp would break your transom. One problem would be in the event of an accident, any accident. You would be toast in court. You wouldn't have any insurance, and you would be guilty of willful negligence. In many states it is illegal to operate or sell an overpowered boat.<br /><br />Ten horsepower isn't worth it.<br /><br />Stay within the rules.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

texacana

Seaman Apprentice

HI JB, thanks for the enlightenement... I didn't even think of any accident event... Safety is first to me... I don't even turn the engine on without putting a life jacket on and the kill switch attach to my belt... <br /><br />Again thanks....

texacana

Seaman Apprentice

Hey JB, I took your advise, instead of the 1993 90HP Johnson I bought the 86 60HP Mariner. You are right there's too much risk involved with overpowering.. I don't think I can afford the hassle.. Anyway, thanks a lot for a very good advise....