evinrude headaches

nuklhed66

Cadet
took the boat out today,started out with fresh gas and oil.the engine tech at the local shop told me to use 100 octane gas mixed 50:1.so i did.and it didnt change a thing ,it still runs like crap! when it will stay running. well first of all the boat wont idle,it is still slugish and inside of about 15 minuts it burned up 6 gallons of gas,at $3.20 a gallon that hurts.does it sound like something major or just a simple adjustment(s)? i sure could use some help.the engine is a 1987 evinrude serial no.e200stluca. i have a book but it is from 1991 -1994.will it help me? or has there been to many changes.dont know if it is a cross flow system or charge loop,or is there a difference? can anyone tell me what to look for or what to do,or should i take it to a marine mechanic. help help help. :confused:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: evinrude headaches

I think the model number should be E200STLCUA. If so, it's a small bore V6 looper XP. What kind of fuel did you run at 3.20 a gallon? What plugs? What kind of oil? How long had it been setting? What do you mean it runs like crap?<br /><br />This is a good motor but DO NOT run anything but FRESH 87 octane gas if it is a stock (compression) motor.<br /><br />Just a snap judgement but I would say to clean the carbs first. We need more info.<br /><br />Good luck!

clanton

Rear Admiral

Do you have some of the letters backwards, is it E200stlcua? Looks like 1987 XP200 hp looper. What is compression at cranking rpm ,all sparkplugs out, wide open throttle. When this thing is running great it burn about 20 gallons an hour at WOT. 91 book should be close. I have specs, tell me what you need.

nuklhed66

Cadet

yes i am sorry i had some of the letters in the wrong place,thanks.the boat had been sitting for about six or seven months.i bought an auxilary fuel tank from walmart and bypassed the main fuel tank in the hull of the boat i used ql77jc4 plugs gapped at 30 thousands,and the oil was tcw3 or something like that. well even after i mixed the fuel at 50:1 it still seemed to smoke a lot.i pulled the spark plugs out and they were wet and smelled of mixed gas real bad.it does not idel it is real rough.when you try to let it idel it will shut off.but if you catch it in time and put in gear it will run ok for a while and then it seems like it is running out of gas.and it used a lot of gas real quick and wasent even wound up yet.the gas i put in it was bought at the race trac gas station and cost $3.20 per gallon for 100 octane.i had it running at the house with a set of water muffs on the lower unit and reved it up a couple of times.do you think that would have hurt anything,only had it runnig for about five minuts.trying to blow the bugs out of it.the tach doesnt work but dont think i wound it up to tight.i dont know what kind of problem(s)i have but i sure would like to go boating without a bunch of worries..like am i going to make it back in.any advice would be a great help.do you all think i need to go to the shop or can i fix it myself.this is my first boat so i am new at the whole thing....nuklhed66

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Be careful of any fuel delivery system that uses less a 3/8 ID fuel line. Clean the carbs and start over with FRESH 87 octane fuel. The plugs are OK. If the tach dosent work it's most likely because the rectifier is bad. The oil shouldn't be "TCW3 or something like that", it should be a quality brand TCW3.<br /><br />Clean the carbs and let us know how you make out. You have a great motor. What kind of boat is it?<br /><br />Good luck!

NJBOATS

Cadet

Just a though. if your mixing the oil and gas at 50 to 1,is the VRO still hooked up and pumping oil also, that would be double oiling it. is there an oil tank in the boat?just some things to look for. hope it helps

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like D says, you're gonna have to go thru the carbs. After 7 months of evaporation, jets clog, and you could have a stuck float. That "bad gas" smell is usually a dead giveaway. The stuff that's left clogs everything. If nothing's changed, you'll appreciate the price of OMC carb kits vs. the Japanese variety, too. Read the book, so that you set 'em up right.<br /><br />Good luck!

nuklhed66

Cadet

hello mr dhadley,and everyone else that has responded. the boat is a 1978 wellkraft v20 cuddy .boat is in perty good shape.has a few dings in the keel area but nothing a little glass wont fix.the oil that i used was lubermatic,that is what the boat tech told me to get,is it the good stuff or should i get another brand? the vro system has been disconnected but i dont know if it has been done correctly.the fuel lines are omc 3/8 fuel lines.could the primer bulb be bad? it gets hard for a while then goes soft.also does the same thing with the plastic tank that i bought at walmart.another question is after i clean the boat and moter up is there a special kind of paint for the boat or just regular paint?but the engine is most important.i get off work around 5:00 pm. if you would give me a time to chat with you perhaps i can get things going with all ya"lls help.any idea on how much carb kits are?or any extra tips ? i sure do apreciate all of you!it sure is great that people can still help people! especialy a new commer.you said that the boat would use 20 gallons per hour at wide open throttle 6100rpms? so that would mean10 gallons per hour at 3050rps? just thiught i would ask is this a v6 60deg or a v6 90deg? thanks ...nuklhed<br /> :D

clanton

Rear Admiral

If you are are trying to run a v6 from a 6 gallon plastic tank check the pickup tube for proper size. I have had 3 plastic tanks that had a pickup tube just large enough to run a model aircraft engine (very small). One of these tanks was connected to a fried 2000 70 HP rigged by dealer. The tank was NOT a tempo.

nuklhed66

Cadet

the pick up tube in the plastic tank is a 3/8 i.d. plastic tube

Boatman30

Cadet

Judging from everything I have read.<br />Bottom line would be to clean the carbs. I hate to say it, but if it has been sitting for awhile, I would almost garuntee you have a plugged high speed jet. This means the motor is running lean. A lean running outboard will eventually burn pistons - NOT GOOD. <br />I recommend around 90 octane fuel with a good quality oil OMC/Quicksilver. Not saying the aftermarket stuff is bad. I just figure an OMC motor was tested and tuned at the factory on OMC oil.<br />The other problem you could have ( I doubt this is it) would possibly be that you have too much pitch in your prop. This would cause the motor to not rev up and just plow water with the front of the boat.<br />Just my thoughts!!

nuklhed66

Cadet

boatman30 how would a person go about checking the prop pitch?thanks for your reply.....nuklhed :rolleyes:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Take a compression test and then clean the carbs before you worry about trying for WOT RPM's. Then you must verify that the original carbs are still being used. If so make sure you tell them you need kits for the 1987 200 XP as the XP/GT's came with larger bore carbs than the standard 200. <br /><br />After the carbs are clean check out why the tach doesn't work. If the regulator is bad and shorted the wires could catch fire. <br /><br />After you get the tach working then you can double check timing and WOT RPM's. Don't forget to pump out the fuel in the boat and start with fresh 87 octane.<br /><br />Good luck!

nuklhed66

Cadet

mr dhadley thanks for your respond i will start onthe carbs this weekend and will remember the imformation you told me.i am very thankful to you and everyone else that has responded.i will fill you all in next week with the results.thanks again....nuklhed :D

Boatman30

Cadet

Nuklhed,<br />Your prop diameter and pitch should be stamped on the side of your prop hub. If not, you might find a number, wich you could call a dealer and cross it up in a book as to what it is. <br /><br />More than likely this is NOT the problem, but I always look for the obviouse when trouble shooting.<br /><br />Boat