40hp Evinrude won't troll

teekay

Recruit
My 1986 40hp Evinrude has been rebuilt, new pistons, carbs cleaned and checked, new thermostat, and a general check of everything mechanical. Rebuilt because pistons, especially the top one were badly burned. The motor now runs well at partial throttle, but stalls when trolling for a few minutes, and then is hard to re-start. Thought I was going to be towed in yesterday and its bad enough that I'm reluctant to go out on the lake.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 40hp Evinrude won't troll

Ahoy, TeeKay. When was your impeller last replaced?? Too often wrench wannabees make claims like "checked everything" when they have neglected the basic preventives, like a new water pump impeller. A failing impeller will fail at low speed first, where it should operate as a positive displacement pump. At higher speed, where it operates as a centrifical pump, it may work okay with one or two arms gone. Guess where they go.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

teekay

Recruit
Re: 40hp Evinrude won't troll

That was a pretty fast reply! Thanks. The impellor was replaced as part of all the work. The engine is still in breakin, less than 5 hours on the rebuild. The engine responds to half and full throttle vigorously. The mechanic also tried a new power pack, but that wasn't the problem