Johnson Oceanrunner Electrical Problems

hperangelo

Recruit
I have a 1995 Johnson 200 Oceanrunner. Over the last year and half I have had to have the regulator/rectifier, stator and power pack replaced THREE times. I bought this boat used 1 1/2 years ago and don't know its history (but can probably guess this was happening with the previous owner). Something is causing these components to go bad which causes my tachometer to stop working, and my battery to over or under charge. I'm tied of having a mechanic replaced these parts when I think problem really elsewhere. Any ideas?<br />Thanks ...<br /><br /><br />------------------

master chief

Cadet
Re: Johnson Oceanrunner Electrical Problems

YO Angelo,I was just wondering why you keep taking it back to the same wrench?Are they replacing all these components under warranty?Otherwise I think you need a second opinion.Its hard to believe that these parts would fail this often,unless something else is going on.Just my 2 cents,good luck

hperangelo

Recruit

I have been to three different mechanics. They all agree that the components are bad. Its not to hard for even a novice boater to know he has a regulator/rectifier problem. The real solution to the problem is to find a mechanic who is interested in solving the cause of the problem, not just replace broken parts which are the aftermath of the problem! I'm trying to find someone out there who may have seen this type of problem in the past !!!

clanton

Rear Admiral

What is model number of engine? What kind of battery? Are you using wing nuts on battery. Do you have Oem battery cables? How many wires on battery termial beside battery cable? Does engine have large red connector for main harness? Magnets in flywheel loose/broke? You located in Florida? Any overheating problems.

clanton

Rear Admiral

What is model number of engine? What kind of battery? Are you using wing nuts on battery. Do you have Oem battery cables? How many wires on battery termial beside battery cable? Does engine have large red connector for main harness? Magnets in flywheel loose/broke? You located in Florida? Any overheating problems.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

This is not that unusual. The reg/rectifier is water cooled. The block is trapping air at the top where the reg/rec is. It will not cool in air (hot air) and shorts out. Vent the block so it will get rid of the air pocket and fill completely with water. <br /><br />Good luck!

NJBOATS

Cadet

if your useing wing nuts ont the batts,toss them and install nuts and tighten them with a wrench. wing nuts will come loose and cause this problem. also check the battery switch if you have one, OMC had problems with those volt regulators but yours seems to be excessive,Clanton is on the money with other things that could cause this,hope this helps

clanton

Rear Admiral

Model would be helpful, Omc were changing the engine harness, main harness, and the alarm system, there were adapters to adapt old engine to new controls, adapters to adapt new engines to old controls about this model year. There were also some changes to the ignition system I think do not have details on ignition. I see a lot of engines that have wire connectors cut off and hard wired, with butt connectors unsealed. If you have one of these chopped up electrial systems, this needs to be repaired first.