Oil pump on an Evinrude 25 HP - 2 strokes

clouma

Cadet
Hello you all,<br /><br />I need help, I am the owner of an Evinrude 25 hp / 2 strokes 1996 and it is the 6th time that the dealer is changing the oil injection pump on it - of course it is warranty but still its start to be a real pain to bring my boat to them ever year. Ounce I had two pumps replaced in the same summer. The pump has two different issues: one is that there is no oil coming to the engine and it seizes and the second is that there is too much oil going into the fuel and it is smoking a lot - no power - and spark plugs are done. <br />Could anyone help me Please - the dealer keeps saying that it is a known problem but he doesn't understand why pumps do not last on my engine.<br /><br />Many thanks <br /><br />Mario

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Oil pump on an Evinrude 25 HP - 2 strokes

I would tell the dealer that I need a new motor. It sounds like a lemon. I have heard of OMC oil pump problems, but not that extream. If he doesn't want to give you a new one, and he won't, check the lemon laws in your area. He may have to give you a new one by law. Possibly ask him to get certified omc mechanics to look at it at his cost. Remind him of the time, gas, inconvenience you have taken through all of these replacement pumps. I think he will comply<br />Good luck

clouma

Cadet

Thanks Kev,<br /><br />But one thing I forgot to say - the dealer change the complete engine block 3 times because of running out of oil - the one I have now is brand new from end of last summer and I know it is new cause I was there when they replaced it-<br /><br />Thanks again

Big Four

Seaman Apprentice

Personaly I wouldn't bother with oil injection on a 25hp, but on the bigger engine they had a problem with the Pulse Limiters. The PL is the valve that screws into the intake manifold. It has a hose barb on it for the hose that drives the VRO pump. The old one has black inserts, the new updated ones are blue.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Clouma. Have you considered killing the !@#$% oil pump and running premix? That is certainly what I would do after the first failure, warranty or not.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . . <br />JB
smile.gif

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Man o' man...<br /><br />You paid for that feature...you should be able to realize it's benefits. They've had plenty of opportunity to get it straightened out... Your life may one day depend on the performance of that engine and by now I wouldn't trust it for an anchor. It's up to you, but I wouldn't hesitate to insist on a new engine. Enough is enough...<br /><br />Walt

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

You have a recurring failure that someone needs to get to the bottom of.All this changing powerheads and downtime is nonscense.Do you have a fuel resriction?Is your oil tank properly primed and consuming oil?A whole list of things that go back to your rigging dealer.Think about it.Can all those powerheads or VROs fail in the same way time after time?

clanton

Rear Admiral

I only have parts book for this enginen and have not worked on this oiling system, the parts book shows 2 fuel pumps and a mixer.Correct? What does owners manual say about not using oil injection? 1998 engine had problem with spring in pulse hose that would migrate thrugh the fittings into crankcase. SB 2339 dated 1998.If my engine from the looks of the parts book, the oil injection would last about 30 seconds. I dont get the 2 fuel pumps, unless 1 pumps oil the other fuel.