Very Slow 7.5 Evinrude

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice
Having trouble making my outboard get up to speed in forward. My boat will almost move as fast in reverse. Suggestions?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Very Slow 7.5 Evinrude

We need more details, Lana. How does she start and idle? When you give her throttle, does the engine rev up, but the boat doesn't go, or does the engine not rev up? When you ask her to go, what does she do and sound like? What boat do you have her on? Have you done any troubleshooting and what did you learn?<br /><br />Standing by.<br /><br />JB
smile.gif

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

The motor is on a Catalina 22 Sailboat. It was running fine last year. I guess the problem started in Feb. 2001 when I took the boat out for a sail for the first time all winter. The motor was left on the boat, no fuel in the engine or gas tank. After 10 of fifteen pulls and a few sprays of starter fluid in the carb,the motor started up. I motored to the other side of the lake and ate lunch at the dock. When I tryed to get home, the motor would not start. I even borrowed an electic drill to act like an electric starter to spin the flywheel. Still would not start. Thats when I took the Aircleaner out. Wasps (MudDobbers)had nested in the plastic cover, up against the Choke opening. I think that when I used the Starter Spray some of the "mud" got in the carb. So, I had to sail back to my side of the lake. One of the local Boys took the motor off and I took it home with me. I took the carb off and cleaned it up, I also took the Head off and used a wire brush to remove the carbon from the top of the pistons and the Head. Oh.. Now that I am writting all of this down I remember that I also took off what I call the fuel Filter trap(?) It is a square plastic piece with a wire mesh and two very thin rubber bladders. While making sure that it was all clean I lost my grip and a very small spring came out of somewhere. This spring in about 1/8 inch long and very thin. I do not know where it came from. I still have it in the tool chest. Anyway, once everthing else was put back together I was able to start it up in a Trash can full of water. It sounded great. When I got it back on the boat, it starts up, revs up fine. Place it in Reverse throttle UP, I move backwards pretty good and the engine is making high RPM's. Life is good until I want to go Forward. Moving from reverse to Forward, I throttle UP, but even at FULL Throttle, I move very Slowly with less then HALF the RPM's I had in reverse. The throttle moves freely from idle to full. Helppppppp, What have I done???

adrian bick

Seaman

Could be a reed valve stuck open by dirt . They are located behind the carburetor.

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

I thought that also. So when I removed snd cleaned the carb, I also removed the speck a dirt on the reed valve. I may have been slightly bent, so I turned it over and in installed it that way. I do not think this is the problem due to the fact that the Motor runs super in Reverse and Neutral. Unless the pitch in such the when the prop spins in reverse there is less load ?????<br />What do you think?

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

I have also drained and re-filled the lower unit with gear oil. I guess I should name my little craft "Scuttle" and do just that.
eek.gif

rwise

Captain

You need to find where in the fuel pum that spring went, it is not pumping enuf (enough) fuel!

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

I am very tired. Just ordered a Evinrude repair Manual. I hope I can figure out where the spring came from...

clanton

Rear Admiral

Rwise pickuped on it. You have to put all of the parts back in the fuel pump.

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

Rwise - Thanks for your response. However, Iam confused about why I can get full Power in reverse. (Same Enginge, carb and fuel line)

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

Just got an E-Mail from some guy named Jere D. He states that " Based on the information on this forum, this engine in Non-Repairable or would cost aleast $1000 for a lower unit." I am taking on E-Maol Address off the forum list if I can. I think he was just trying to sell me something. I beleive it is possible to buy a used replacement o/b for about $800. But I reall like the look of this Rude 7.5. Thanks for Help.
wink.gif

JB

No way do you need a new engine, Lana. A pox and a conger on that maggot who tried to con you. <br /><br />There are two spring-loaded valves in your fuel pump. Your spring came out of one of them and severely curtailed the amount of fuel you can pump. Reverse is a very light load and your pump can apparently keep it supplied but can't meet the demand in foreward.<br /><br />You can verify this by pumping the primer bulb while trying to go in forward. If she takes off, your fuel pump is the trouble.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know what happens.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

No Luck.... I Bought a NEW Fuel Pump ($50) and the Symptoms are the same. The Mech at the Shop told me this would not fix the problem, but he could not offer a better fix without getting the motor in the shop, and a One hour minimum at $75 / hour. I am really getting tired of this whole thing.
frown.gif
Nobody has brought this up, but I was thinking, Could this be a timing issue ??? I do not know. How can I prove the timing. If I can't solve this ..... the Boy's clug will fet a donated boat very quick,,,,,

JB

Hi, Lana. @#$%^ why that wrench couldn't have simply shown you where to put that #$%^ spring back rather than nailing you for $50 @#$%^&es me off. He could have sold you a FP overhaul kit for a fraction of the cost of a new pump.<br /><br />Oh , well. Where do we go from here? Repeat after me: "This problem CAN be fixed and I WILL fix it."<br /><br />Your symptoms are classic power loss. The most common causes are: fuel starvation and cylinder loss. Pumping the primer bulb seems to have eliminated the fuel starvation suspect for now. That leaves the possibility of one cylinder not making power.<br /><br />Disconnect the spark plug wires, in turn. If the engine slows a lot, or even dies, that is a good cylinder. If it makes very little or no difference that cylinder is not making power.<br /><br />Hold the plug wire about 1/2" from the block and see if it makes an arc. If it does not, you have an ignition problem. Let us know and we will address that. If there is spark, you need a compression test.<br /><br />Do you have the equipment to do a compression test? I hate to sound Chauvinistic, but do you know how to do a compression test? Not difficult, if you have the right tools.<br /><br />At this point you need to tell us what has happened and we'll take it from there.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

OK, Thanks it try it.. Thank you for keeping with me. I do have a Compression tester I used on my 55 Triumph TR3. I bought it at the autoparts store. It is just a Dial on the end of a hose that plugs into the Sparkplug socket.

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

The good news is the motor does get me out of the slip and back. ( although slower then I like) But, at least I get out into the bay. The bad news is I am alittle worried that if a strong breeze or rough weather comes while I am afew miles out. I do not think the o/b would have enough thrust to push me through the wind - back to my slip. So it is a question of safty also. I am starting to second guess myself. I have made two transatlantic crossing (as crew, never solo). Thanks for your help guys..

rwise

Captain

Lana<br />On my old rude the throtle will not go WOT unless it is in forward. It wiil go about half in nutral or in reverse. It is all linkages, my thought, are you getting to WOT? is the carb being opened fully? When NOT running put it in forward and WOT see if this happens if not the safety features for over reving your engine (the linkage stop)may be stopping the throtle. Hope you find something simple!

If you havent done it already, twist the throttle with out starting, in N- R- then foward, it should open a lot more in foward, and to solve the fuel issue. if you have a 3 gallon gas tank, hang it from your aft pulpit if your 22 cat. has one, in any case get it higher than the engine, and if its fuel problem it should run better. And until you grt the problem fixed keep your anchore handy and if you get into a hard blow an can't get back to the slip, drop the anchore and if your keel is a swing drop it to. and I don't believe your mechanic is giving you the straight shot either, because that spring came out of your fuel pump! good luck an hang in there.

Miss Lana in VA

Seaman Apprentice

1)I will not be able to Check the Compression until the weekend. I think I am getting he bottom painted RED.
smile.gif
I will give you the results on Sunday night.<br />2)The throttle and linkage moves free throughout the full range up to WOT in all modes (R-N-F) Thanks for your input<br />3)I will place my six gallon tank up in the cockpit to test the gass flow. This will really look ugly, put it's only a test