Shift Shaft gasket and o-ring replacement

StriperChaser

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 1996 Johnson 112 SPL is getting water into the lower gearcase. I drained the lube and applied 5 psi of air pressure for several minutes and it held with no leaks. I increased the pressure to 15 psi then shifted into forward and turned the prop. I lost pressure. Checked for leaks with soapy water under pressure and found it leaking only at the shift shaft. <br /><br />1. Is it advisable to drop the lower gearcase and replace only the shift shaft gasket and o-rings? <br /><br />2. Is there anything else that could cause a leak at the shift shaft other than the gasket and o-rings?<br /><br />3. Can the shift shaft o-rings and gasket be purchased separately or do they come in a complete lower gearcase seal kit?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Shift Shaft gasket and o-ring replacement

As long as the upper driveshaft seal is not leaking also, you can get by with replacing the shift orings and the gasket. Make sure to clean out any salt, sand, etc. from the oring grooves and inspect the shift shaft for any corrosion pits or worn areas where the oring ride.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Shift Shaft gasket and o-ring replacement

The orings and gasket are only a few bucks and can be ordered individually or they come in the complete gearcase seal kit.