35hp Johnson with carb problems. HELP!!!!

medic1529p

Recruit
I have a 1982 35hp johnson outboard. When i give it gas it just dies. I think i have an obstruction in the high-speed circuit. I have cleaned it and put in a basic carb kit. I have not adjusted the float height or float drop. Can anyone tell me what they might be. I'm open to any advice that i can get. THANKS.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 35hp Johnson with carb problems. HELP!!!!

Howdy, Medic. Let's verify that the problem is fuel starvation.<br /><br />Pump the primer bulb while trying to accellerate. If she takes off the trouble is probably in the fuel system before the carb. <br />Check your fuel pump, fuel lines and fuel pickup in the tank.<br /><br />If it does no good to pump the primer put some fuel in a spray bottle and spray it into the air intake while trying to accellerate. If she takes off your problem is still in the carb.<br /><br />It is not unusual to put a kit in the carb, clean it up and still have clogged passages. Give particular attention to drilled passages in the casting. A fine wire or air pressure should clean them out.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 35hp Johnson with carb problems. HELP!!!!

Hello medic I,ll try to help. Your float should be turned upside down with the float bowl removed the float should be parallel with the carb. body. When you cleaned it did you use a spray can carb cleaner, or soak it? I personally I like the spray can. If you use a spray can notice one big tube with a smaller one running up through the middle of the bigger one; the smaller one is the one thatsupplies the low speed outlets behind the throttle plate, and as the throttle is advanced it will uncover some more small holes, these are the intermediate supply holes. If you squirt carb cleaner thru the small tube you should see it comming out both the low speed and the intermediate holes. This would be my first guess as to why it dies when you throttle up. these intermediate holes have the same function as an accelerator pump on four stroke engines. I hope this helps.