Power loss, cant plane boat

CatfishJim1

Recruit
I have a johnson120 1987 v-4 that has no power and will not plane out the boat and the motor will bog and die if you try, it idles rough and there is an alarm that has gone off two short beeps followed by two long beeps(does not happen all the time). The VRO has been disconnected and here is a list of things i have done.<br /><br />new gas, new tank<br />compression between 115-125 <br />spark on all plugs<br />new plugs<br />checked fuel filter <br />pumped bulb while running<br />new impeller<br /><br />The pecular thing is that every once in a while the boat acts like nothing is wrong and takes off like a bat out of hell, it will run that way for a while and then return to its normal slump. I know this could be a lot of things if someone could help me narrow it down, i'd be grateful. THANKS<br /><br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Everyday a Catfish is just around the way maybe tomorrow a big one will take my worm away

Liam

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Power loss, cant plane boat

Hey CatfishJim, I had the exact same proble which just got rectified yesterday. Took the boat out last night and it was beautiful. I had done the same as you, cleaned the carbs, new gas lines, new gas, plugs, wires, lost hair, spent too much money - you know the way!<br /><br />Anyway, it ended up being the power pack. It would run great for 1/2 hour and then bog down but never stall. Too many electrons travelling through that pack makes it overheat as it wears out. The motor would try go but was just flooding. Take off the load and she would rev as high as you wanted.<br /><br />Hope this helps,<br /><br />Liam

MOTAS

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Power loss, cant plane boat

I wonder to know if you finally solved the problem.<br />Why the people from OMC don't participate in this forum? It seems all their engines have the same problem, but they dont want to give the solution to fix it 'cause their real business is to sell parts.<br /> :mad: