Prolly stupid Motor Question =/

gliggly

Recruit
Hey guys i recently bought a boat that has a Jonhson Motor on it now no where can i find how many Hps or size . but my question is , is that i cant find a dip stick for oil or anything of the such is it mixed gas ? this motor has a 5 or 6 gallon tank that sits in the back of the boat it self with fuel lines that run to the motor the motor seems to be original Color (solid black) if that helps .<br />Im a first time boat owner with No exsperience working on the but i am pretty good with Auto cars and such so im guessing it cant be to much diffrent . the boat is a 1971 glaspar 14 ft fiber glass with a Johnson evinrude motor someone tol,d me it may be a 1952 motor ? dont seem right ... but im not sure guess only thing i need to ask is is ther eanywhere i can get a original picture of this boat maybe to restore it back to original and does it take mixed gas ? <br /><br />Thanx a ton <br />Gliggly

alcan

Commander
Re: Prolly stupid Motor Question =/

Hello gliggly<br /> Yes your motor runs mixed gas. There should be a tag rivited to the transom clamp. This will provide you with mod# and ser#. If no tag is found, look for a welch plug on the engine block, numbers there also. Try a web site for Fiberglasics, they might have your photo. Good luck, have fun.

Fish Head

Cadet

Your outboard is a two cycle engine. The gas is mixed with 2 cycle outboard oil. DO NOT MIX the gas with the same type of oil you would put in your car.Use only a quality outboard 2 cycle engine oil, most outboards mix at a 50 to 1 ratio follow the mixing guide on the oil container. There is no dip stick because no oil is in the engine, the motor is lubricated by the fuel oil mixture.the only oil is in the lower unit. I suggest finding a mechanic and have him give you a little guidance. Dont feel stupid,owning a boat for the first time is a definite learning experience. Everyone has forgotten to put the plug in at one time. You can learn alot by just hangin out at the boat ramp. Good Luck and dont get frustrated. null

gliggly

Recruit

Woot ! thanx guys <br /><br />Gliggly

wippb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Gliggly<br />Have a look at this web site. It may help you understand how these here 2 cycle boat motors work.<br /> Click Me

WOOLY BUGGER

Seaman Apprentice

I DONT THINK YOU HAVE A 1952 MODEL, DONT THINK JOHNSON MADE THEM BLACK BACK THEN