Hooking up a tachometer

pbritt

Recruit
On the dash of the 14' Fiberform boat I<br />inherited is an hour gauge and a tachometer.<br />The hours gauge wiring goes to the lead<br />directly under the ignition key for the<br />60 Evinrude motor. Two wires hang down<br />from the tach...loose. Can anyone tell<br />me where to attach the tachometer wires?<br /><br />Thanks for your help. This site has been<br />a godsend.<br /><br />Pete Brittain

yensid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Hooking up a tachometer

Some go to the control box, some go back to the motor. With the specific model of motor it is, someone might be able to help with yours. Or, if you have a service manual for your motor, you may get a clue in there. It also depends on the brand of tach, I believe.<br /><br />My guess is that one of those wires is for the power, and one is for the signal (either off the ignition or alternator, I believe), but I don't know for sure. There should be a ground wire somewhere, too, though that may already be hooked up.<br /><br />Teleflex has some installation information for tachs here: http://www.tflx.com/tech.html