81 60 hp.johnson 2 cylinder

skynard

Cadet
i bought this motor to find the lower block is cracked and patched with jb weld ..compression is 130 and 145 ..motor runs but sucks air, boggs down and wont take the throttle im sure its starving for fuel with the leaks in several places. was wondering if the motor is worh fixing I have found the part. and do you have to pull the power head ? evrything else on motor seems fine just did not want to sink more money in it unless it will solve my problems Ihave cleaned the carbs and tried to patch the crack just behind the starter bolt . with no luck any suggestions ? thanks skynard

omctech

Seaman
Re: 81 60 hp.johnson 2 cylinder

If it is in that bad of shape, replace the powerhead. It will be cheaper to buy one than rebuild yourself, as you will need a new crankcase half. Try Golden Eagle Machine in Eagle Rock, Mo. Powerheads come with a 12 month warranty. I know the owner personnally and will use nothing other in my shop.

skynard

Cadet

thanks omctech i will check your info .the power heads I looked at on the net are from 1400-1600 .im looking at around 450-500 parts and labor to have the lower housing replaced .which I have located 15 miles away other than the housing being cracked the motor seems to be in good shape not sure about the compression but it was 130 and 145 that seems to be good ..thanks for your help

skynard

Cadet

update for omctech well I took the carbs off again and the plate behind the carbs that holds thr reeds .I had the broken part where the starter bolt goes in the front of the motor aluminum welded .cleand the carbs again put all new gaskets on .doubled the gaskets where the reeds go because he had to grind some when welding the part back used omc gasket compound on all gaskets started her up and she sounds real good and throttle responce is quick .soon as the rain stops im putting her back in the water to see how she runs ..just wanted to update you .the cost of my repair was 30 dollars for the weld job and 16 dollars for the gaskets so less than 50 bucks .a poor boy has got poor boy ways ..thanks skynard :)