Evinrude 88SPL no power

RAFaris

Recruit
Just bought a boat w/ Evinrude 88 SPL. In neutral, it winds up great, but at WOT I'm not getting up on plane and the RPM's seem to low.(No Tach, so anyones guess). My first day out we rode around at 15 MPH, but 2 hrs later, we got up on plane and at 25 MPH. Thought changing gas tanks did it, but the same problem cropped up again, with no power or speed. Took off carb cover and found gas and gasket in bad shape. Changed plugs and used 89 octane w/ 50:1 ratio. What am I missing?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 88SPL no power

Howdy, RA. What you are missing is a test run before you bought the boat. Now you know why it was for sale.<br /><br />You probably have a fuel starvation problem. Try pumping your primer bulb when this is going on. If she picks up and runs, that would confirm it. Check the venting of your fuel tank(s) and the integrity of lines to the fuel pump. Overhaul the fuel pump.<br /><br />If the primer bulb test doesn't work, inspect all ignition wires and the plugs. If you have a wet plug it probably isn't firing.<br /><br />Let us know what you find, and we'll go from there. BTW, give us more info on your engine. Year, etc. And get a tach; it is essential to monitor your engine's health.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB
smile.gif

RAFaris

Recruit

JB, thanks for the info. You're right about the test ride, but cheap is cheap ( and I got cheap!
smile.gif
<br />Popped open the fuel pump and found scum and debris in the screen filter. Buttoned everything back up tight and found no more gas inside engine. She throttled up nice and didn't quit in gear. This is all backyard stuff, I'll put her in the water soon and let you know what happens. The motor is a 1988 88hp SPL Evinrude. I found that "SPL" means no bells and whistles. So I'm the equivilant of PT/T. Thanks again for the help, I'll get back with you, Later RAFaris..

Don Ermis

Cadet

JB,<br />You sound like a man who might know something about the Evinrude 88 SPL.<br />I have a question.<br />Located just about the carb cover is a small cylinder that looks like some sort of solinoid.<br />It has a red lever on the left side. This lever in normal position is positioned to the right.<br />A few days ago I ran my rig, it would only turn up 2,000 rpm and never got up on plane. I changed the plugs and this weekend the same results. I found that if I started the motor in the normal position (this small red lever) and then while under way I moved this lever 90 degrees, the motor would come up to normal rpm and ran close to normal. If throttling down one must put this lever back to the original position or the motor will stall and can't be restarted.<br /><br />Any ideas on what this part is and what is its function.

RAFaris

Recruit

Saltwater Man,<br />It was my motor a year ago that JB replied to. I think I can help you at least to what that red lever is. On my 88, it's the automatic choke (pretty sure). The previous owner replaced mine and I have never had any problems w/it. It's turned on by holding down the key at ignition. The red lever is the manual override. My suggestion is to put the lever in the position that the motor ran normal in, then start the motor, while pushing in the key. It should kick on with a little throttle. Once it is warmed up (and you do have to warm an 88 up!) You should not have to hold in the key to start the engine.<br />If pushing in the key doesn't turn on the choke, then the unit may be bad and you'll have to do it manually to warm up the engine. This info came from the previous owner, so it must be a common 88 problem. Hope this helps.

Don Ermis

Cadet

RAFaris,<br />Now I really feel stupid. I did not really read the year on the message. Just assumed it was 2002.<br />Thanks for the reply.<br />I can get the motor started easy enough. Like you said, just pull out the throttle, give it approx. 50% of WOT and push the key in for choke. It will usually start very easy. And when it is warmed up it is a dream to start.<br />The problem is trying to get it to come up to full rpm under a load. I have not checked the usual on fuel filter, fuel line etc. Hope to do that tomorrow after work. How has your's been doing ??

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hello RAFaris,<br />You may already have all the information that you need, but I feel that I should add my 2 cents. The solenoid looking thing that has the red lever is the primer solenoid. The red lever should be in a straight line with the black barrel portion in the normal position. How this thing works is when the key is pushed in, and in the start sosition it opens a valve so the fuel pump can squirt fuel directly in front of the reed valves. So the engine has to be cranking over to let the fuel pump build pressure so this can happen. When the key is released the valve closes, and now the engine is running only off the carbs. The red knob was put on there so the engine could be manually primed for cold starts if the electrical ckt. wasn't working. My; how I go on, but I hope this helps.

Don Ermis

Cadet

Almost RA,<br />Thanks for the info on what the device is. I am trying to figure out how it affects the way my motor is working. Like I stated before. When at WOT I can only get 2000 rpm and the boat won't even plane out. I can move the red lever 90 deg. and the motor will come up to 4500 rpm and run almost normal. If I am powering down I must put the red lever back into the original position or the motor will dye.<br /><br />If this lever is the manual by pass for the choke, is this by passing fuel into the carbs in some manner ??? Is this an indication of a starving fuel situation at WOT ???

RAFaris

Recruit

Saltwater Man,<br />I feel your pain, brother. "Retired again" has a better hold on the part and function than I do. some of the things I did to get performance out of the 88 was, clean the fuel filter out real good, changed my fuel line, played around with the fuel mix (around 32:1), changed all the plugs, got a new prop, and installed an aftermarket PT/T. I don't know what problem or combination of problems you might be having with the primer soleniod, but doing all those things got 5-8 more MPH out of my motor and it planes a lot faster. The fuel pump has a small screen that accumulates crap pretty good. Cleaning that off might get you some better results and/or changing the pump and soleniod altogether. The 88 is a durable motor. It has not left me stranded yet (knock wood!), except for the time I ran out of gas!!! The boat I use it on is a 17.5 ft cuddy w/ a 17x13.25 michigan wheel prop (25 in shaft). I hope any of this info helps. Good Luck!!<br />P.S.<br />Check for kinks in your fuel line. that's an easy one.

Don Ermis

Cadet

RAFaris,<br />Thanks for the info.<br />I am going to clean gas filter, check hoses, replace bulb and check tank gas cap. Will do this in afternoon after work. From what I have read in the past few days this seams to be what is recommended most. Have ordered a Seloc manual for my model, but probably won't have it until the weekend. Wanted to have problem solved by Saturday for a fishing trip.

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That little solenoid deal injects extra fuel behind the carbs, and into the engine just in front of the reed valves. It is not, nor does it work like a choke.<br /><br />If putting extra fuel in gets the engine up to power, my guess is that one of the carbs is gummed up somehow and starving the engine for fuel. This just recently happened to me, and after rebuilding the carbs, quite a bit of carb cleaner, and a bit of poking at the jets with a wire, she runs great again.<br /><br />It does sound like it is starving for fuel somehow, and assuming all connections from the tank to the pump are ok, the pump is working well, and the fuel filter is clean, the only thing left is the carbs.

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe Plywoody has your answer S-man. Your motor is more than likely starving for fuel. It could be an air leak on a line so check them first. Have an assistant push on the quick connect while you try to get on plane. If you don't find an air leak pull the carbs and run something through the high speed jets behind the bowl drain plugs.

Don Ermis

Cadet

Plywoody,<br />It might very well be a gummed carb. The motor will start great, idle great, rev up over 4000 rpm out of gear, rev up over 4000 rpm in gear (in drive way hooked up to flushette), just will not come to full power when under a load.<br /><br />Did you get any results with carb cleaner before the carb rebuild, or did you try the cleaner first ???<br />I have ordered a manual for the motor but it probably won't get to the house before this weekend. I have no business taking carbs apart without manual/pictures.<br /><br />Several years ago I owned a 115 hp Merc, in the 10 yrs I owned the Merc, the only time it ever went to the shop was after I adjusted the 3 carbs to make it run better.<br /><br />BK'68,<br />Thanks for the idea. I don't think there is a problem with the gas line/motor connection. It is apparently corroded to the motor and I will have to fix that when I replace the hose and bulb, it is over 10 yrs old and probably should be replaced anyway.

Don Ermis

Cadet

I am thinking about putting some GUNK carb cleaner in my gas tank and let the motor idle for several minutes.<br /><br />Opinions on whether this is a good idea; or what will I screw up doing this ???

Don Ermis

Cadet

DD,<br />Would adjusting the slow running mixture have any effect on the fact that my problem appears at WOT ??? I think the low speed idle functions are totally bypassed when the engine is at WOT.

Diver Dave

Seaman

Sorry, only read the bit about the choke solenoid,the red lever is a manual override,in normal running it should be hard forward for key-switch choking.<br />If solenoid fails then turn it hard astern to start and then return to forward position

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, any problem with the fuel system *could* cause your problem. Check it all out from the tank, and the intake to the tank, all the way to the carb. Make sure there are no air leaks, and any suspect hoses or connections, replace. They're cheap, and a normal maintenance issue anyway.<br /><br />I suppose putting in carb cleaner in the tank *could* solve your problem, and it would be worth a try if you have lots of time and patience, but my guess is there is something in the carb that needs to be softened with carb cleaner and dislodged. If it is bad enough to dramatically alter the performance of the engine, it is likely to take some work to get it. I got some stainless steel fine guage wire from a local fishing shop, and that worked great. And of course a rebuild kit for the carb that included new float and valves and gaskets and everything else that should be replaced when you tear it down (About $15 per carb)<br /><br />And, it goes without saying, a manual.

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hello Again Saltwaterman,<br />What you are discribing I Think you are starving for fuel, or the timming isn't advancing along with the throttle opening. The throttle advance rod sometimes gets knocked out and can cause symptoms like this. easy to check advance the throttle and see if the timmer base under the flywheel moves. As far as putting something in the fuel to clean the carbs. I don't think that it will work, at least I've never had any luck with anything except taking the carbs. off and doing a thorough cleaning after they were dissembled. If it is the carbs. it sounds like a partially plugged high speed jet. The reason that I say this is because it idles good, and all the fuel that is used by the engine has to first get through the high speed jet. If it was completly blocked I don't think that it would idle. <br />Good luck