Flywheel replacement (is it easy) 60HP Johnson

jaredsandy

Recruit
I have a 60 HP Johnson (1992) whith electric start and theres a spot on the flywheel that has 5 missing teeth....it don't work well when it gets to that spot. But the teeth on the starter still look fine.<br />Is it easy to replace the flywheel?<br />It looks like you just remove the nut and use a puller to remove the flywheel. Is that correct and will this screw up the timing or anything?<br />Thanks

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Flywheel replacement (is it easy) 60HP Johnson

Just change the flywheel, But anytime you touch anything that might effect the timming, I would put light on it and verify that timing is correct. Two strokes do take kindly to over advance timming.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You've got it figured out, Jared. Go for it.<br /><br />Red sky at night, , , ,<br />JB
smile.gif

clanton

Rear Admiral

Just change the flywheel, But anytime you touch anything that might effect the timming, I would put light on it and verify that timing is correct. Two strokes do take kindly to over advance timming.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Last sentence should read. do not take kindly to over advance timming.

jaredsandy

Recruit

Thanks alot, but I'm curious, is there any timing adjustments that can change from messing with the flywheel. I did'nt think so but there are some markings on the flywheel that kind of look like degree indicators. I'm ok with snowmobile 2-strokes but still pretty green with outboards.<br />Thanks for getting back to me.