1991 70hp evinrude Stalls

babes@sledbabes.com

Seaman Apprentice
My 1991 Evinrude 70 ran just fine the other night, the next day it left me in the middle of the lake. After running for 3-5 minutes at 75% or so throttle it lost power and stalled, it took some time to get it running again, engine would quit when lever moved from neutral. Limped back. The primer bulb is now a tad soft when I run it. ??? It seems to run ok for the most part before it is warmed up too much.<br /><br />------------------

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1991 70hp evinrude Stalls

Howdy, Babes. (Didn't I just talk to you??) Sounds like you lost a cylinder. Do what Clanton suggests. Look at your plugs, check you primer bulb for softness, speak harshly to your fuel pump(that rarely does any good technically, but it often makes us feel better). Long shots include fuel tank venting, anti-siphon valves, cracked fuel lines and evil spirits. Since this doesn't seem to be your first outing of the season, evil spirits don't seem likely.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . . <br />JB
smile.gif

babes@sledbabes.com

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1991 70hp evinrude Stalls

We removed the injection system and did a pre-mix on the gas and the motor runs fine now!! We did some reading through this forum and it seemed that many Evinrude 70 owners recommended by-passing the injection system. After about 10 minutes it was almost a new engine, thanks all!