Bocsh starter problems

chasec

Cadet
I have a 1979 55hp Evinrude with a bosch starter. The problem that i am having is that <br />after i start it up and go were i have to go , i then turn the motor off i when i go to start it back up the starter wont turnover After time goes by it will start up again. People have tole me that the starter is over heating . if some one could shed light on this it would be appreciated

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bocsh starter problems

Sometimes as starters are going bad they will lose some of their internal insulation on the windings which can lead to overheating, which in turn can lead to internal connections going bad that may show up after they have been put to work doing their job. Then as they cool down the metals can contract and or remake a poor internal connection.<br /><br />But before making the move and changing out the starter make sure it is getting full voltage when it is in a no start condition.

chasec

Cadet

how can i see if the starter is getting voltage in a no start situation

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Take a volt meter along with you on your next trip out. When you get to the point where it won't start put the neg. lead to a ground on the engine block and the pos. to the main connector on the starter motor while someone else turns the key. If it shows full battery voltage then you can assume the starter is going going gone.

chasec

Cadet

after running the motor at idle for about 15 <br />to 20 minutes is the starter and the flywheel suppossed to be red hot , i mean to the point <br />where if you leave your finger on the starter <br />or the flywheel that you'll burn your finger.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

With the engine running you should have the starter disengeged from the flywheel and not turning.

chasec

Cadet

the starter disengages ,it just that after ideling for 20 minutes its alomst hot enough to burn you bad on the starter its super hot and the fly wheel the power head, i have a relative who has a evinrude 200hp xp and he can touch the hood on his motor , on mine hood if i touch it i get burned

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe what you are experiencing is not the starter at all but an engine overheating problem.

page62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you replaced the water pump impleller recently?

chasec

Cadet

i just changed this water pump housing but the impeller is good , the boat spits water out good, if the timing was incorrect could this cause it to over heat