84' Evnirude Problem

jj6987

Cadet
Ok I have a 150Xp Evnirude that has been giving me some problems for a while now. At first it would want to die when I was satrting to almost get on plane but the engine would still run. This would happen about 3-4 times a day out on the water. I replaced the primer bulb and decarbed the motor with OMC Engine Ingnition Tuner and that seemed to help the problem for 2 trips out on the lake. On the second trip it wanted to stall but only once. The rest of the time it ran fine. What could be causeing my problems? Or should I decarb again? I know the engine probably had never had it done by the previous owner. Please e-mail me at jj6987@yahoo.com for all suggestions.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 84' Evnirude Problem

Hi, JJ.<br /><br />I would suspect that your fuel pump is getting weak or there is some restriction in the fuel supply.<br /><br />It seems to be running out of fuel when suddenly opened up, then the fuel supply catches up.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

jj6987

Cadet

I have a VRO pump and all the shops said that I will know when that goes out. Thye said it wasn't that. I have replaced all fuel lines, fuel filters, and checked just about everything else Ai could think of. Running out of ideas.

Walker

Captain

JJ, the VRO pump has 2 sides. One side pumps oil and the other side pumps fuel. As far as I know the fuel side has no alarm. Try this, take the boat out with a helper and when you throttle up have your helper pump the fuel line bulb as you run. See if it keeps running.

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI, I leaning towards a fuel problem. When the motor starts to die out, try hitting the choke and see if it picks up. If it does, it would be a fuel delivery problem. Do the carburetors on the motor have the black plastic bottoms? I don't remember what year they started using those. The plastic bowls deform and you could be getting an air leak on the bowl gasket. When the motor calls for fuel, it runs lean and dies down. I'd replace them with the metal bowl. Have you had the carburetors apart and see if they need cleaning and rebuilding? another possibility is if there is a fuel leak inside the VRO pump, fuel could be leaking into the air pump side of the VRO and traveling into the cylinder the VRO gets it's pulse from. That cylinder could flood, but that usually causes a midrange hesitation or short time power loss.