Lower unit? on 1970 Evinrude

BMC

Recruit
I had my prop on my 1970 60hp evinrude motor<br />stolen. I went to my local dealer and bought a new prop with thrustwasher and spacers. The shaft is too long. So I went back and they gave me another spacer. They said that<br />I have a different lower unit. So my question is how do I find out what lower unit I have? Is there anyway to measure the shatft to get the right Prop? The dealer would not tell me any info. I took the motor to them and they still didn't Know. Any info would be great.<br />Thanks!<br />Joe

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Lower unit? on 1970 Evinrude

That is strange. I thought they were pretty much standard (L/U i mean).<br />The only sugestion I have is to try the nearest prop rebuild shop. The "Yellow pages" is a great place to start. The internet is a great place, but they will want to see the shaft it's going on. I hate it when the mutants come out to play!!!<br />They do that because they know how easy they are to lift, and how much they are worth. You may find your prop in a nearby pawn shop.<br />I hope you get her back on the water soon.

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi BMC, My guess is that the lower unit on your motor has taken from and older motor. I have seen that only a few times. OMC made a spacer that was probably three of four times thicker than the one you recieved from the dealer. According to the book you should use a 315810 spacer on your motor, however there was an older gearcase that used the thicker spacer. Adding one or two spacers should not give you a problem as long as you can tighten the prop so it does not move along the shaft, and can install the cotter pin.

BMC

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. On my shaft I have to add 3 spacers to make it work right. will<br />that hurt anything. And I do believe that 315810 is the the spacers I am using.