bogs down

shooter26

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 25 horse johnson that bogs down only when I'm wide open for about a 1/2 mile. I back off to slow for about 10 seconds then it's good to go for another 1/2 mile or so. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: bogs down

Howdy, Shooter. Sounds like and unvented or inadequately vented fuel tank. Could also be weak fuel pump, restriction somewhere in fuel lines.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

shooter26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks JB, I changed tank and fuel line.I ran with the cap on the tank loose and no change even pulled the choke out when it started to bog that didnt do a thing. Should i go to the fuel pump? Thanks for all your help.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Shooter. Hmmm. How's the telltale stream? Plenty of water and not too hot? I wonder if it could be heating up. Is your engine new enough to have the OMC S.L.O.W. that automatically slows her down if it thinks it is too hot? If choking her doesn't help when she bogs it doesn't seem to be a fuel starvation problem, but try pumping your primer bulb instead of choking her. If priming her cures the bog, overhaul your fuel pump. If not, check your plugs for correct heat range and gap. Beyond that I don't know what to do next. If none of the above helps, post us and we'll try again.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

shooter26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My engine year is 1985.. I will try the primer bulb and plugs this weekend and keep you informed. Thanks again JB for all your help. <br />PS.My stream is more of a full spray that is warm to the touch.