92 Evinrude ignition problem

92sunbird

Recruit
I'm having a problem with the control lever on my 1992 70 hp Evinrude. The engine will not start when the control arm is in the fast idle position. Nothinh will happen until I put it in the upright neutral position. However, this engine seems to prefer to start with a slightly fast idle. Any help anyone could render would be appreciated.

MooseMan

Cadet
Re: 92 Evinrude ignition problem

Forgive me if I misread your post but it sounds like you are trying to start the boat with the throttle forward and not the warmup lever up.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Sunbird. Your solution depends on which controller you are using. Some have a seperate warm-up lever that doesn't affect the neutral-start switch, which requires the lever to be in neutral to engage the starter. It sounds like you are using the binnacle controller, where you pull the lever out to your left to control the throttle without shifting. This should not open the neutral-start switch, but apparently is. Get inside your binnacle and find out why.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

92sunbird

Recruit

Guys, Thanks for your help. Some electrical contact cleaner seemed to cure the problem!