Rough idle

reelburner

Cadet
Hello, I recently posted a problem with my 1970 60HP Johnson outboard and all of you came through for me.<br />I hoping you can do it again. Problem: rough idle, operates good at high RPM. Inspected plugs and found that number's 1 and 3 cylinder plugs are wet, number 2 plug looks normal. I have already gone through all 3 carbs and cleaned them out throughly and they all have a sufficent amount of fuel being supplied. Reeds appear to be good upon visual inspection. Motor runs good at high RPM, however this is done without a load on the prop Could this be an ignition problem, such as points?. This model has 2 sets of points, could one set be responsible for the number 1 and 3 cylinder plugs?, or does this still sound like a fuel problem?. Could the coil be the culprit?. Any advise will be greatly appreciated and a big thank you in advance.

StringBox

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Rough idle

ReelBurner - I'm having a similiar problem with my 1971 Johnson 60HP. My spark plugs look good. Motor runs well at high speed, but will begin to miss at idle. I've replaced my carbs with a set off of a motor that was supposed to be running correctly. I'm going to try re-adjusting the low speed idle adjustments tomorrow. I'm thinking Im just not getting a hot enough spark at idle speed. Maybe someone can point us in the right direction. I'll post if I find anything usefull.