Good places to look for used outboard??

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for a good 70 to 100 hp outboard. Is the dealer a good place to start?? Or is it like everything else....OVERCHARGE??? Anytips to look for, as suggestied looking for a early to mid 80's. Thanks for all replies!! Brad :D

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Good places to look for used outboard??

a dealer or a place like Iboats will not be the<br />cheapest, but you will get a warranty. otherwise<br />it's a roll of the dice. kinda like buyin a used<br />car. you can get lucky and find a creampuff, but<br />most of the time you're buyin someone else's<br />troubles. even if they start it up and run it<br />in a barrel, there's no way of telling how it<br />will perform under load on the water. I would at<br />least have the local wrench check it out before<br />I paid for it. the best $50 bucks you can spend <br />IMHO :) <br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice

For a mearly to mid 1980's out board what could I look to spend??? Keepi mind I want to find a good used one for our first motor. Thank you Brad

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about the sloppy typing have a 3 month old being a little cranky hanging out on my lap!! Thank you, Brad

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

have no idea what OB's sell for in Iowa...<br />my local wrench had a rblt. 85hp merc last<br />year he was sellin for $1500, but was a '70's<br />motor. I thought that was a steal!<br />(completely rblt./90 day warranty)<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice

I suppose you get what you pay for I was hoping to spend about that on an early 80's motor......Maybe I am fooling myself!! Thankyou so much for your information!!! Maybe someone on here has a good motor for sale?? Only time will tell what is around! Thank you! :confused: Brad

ken777777

Cadet

I recenty seen a 1979 85 hp Johnson at a local dealer in Beardstown IL. I recently bought my first boat off a E-bay auction, I think so far I got lucky and got a cream puff. The Engine on my boat is the same year and hp. The name of the dealer is S&R Marine, Beardstown IL. The Johnson they have looks hardly used.

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice

Did you ask the price?? Also, are the prices neg? Like a car would be? Just trying to get a feel for the whole buying gig!! Still have ice on the lakes but know the time is short before we can get out and play..... Should be interesting never even drove a boat before..... Any tips out there?? Loading and loading tips would be great.... As well as driving. I am sure I can drive the boat....I'm sure I need to do some checking on rules and reg... Any horror stories, I need to knoe about? Thanks!! You have a great site here!!! Brad :eek:

superman_56520

Recruit

I found that buying a whole boat-motor-trailer package from a private person was the way to go. I was able to test drive the boat to check the engine, then after I transfered the motor I made a nice flatbed trailor out of the trailer. I did have to find a farmer though that would let me put the old boat into his fire pit and burn it up.

ken777777

Cadet

Brad just get on the web, you can learn a lot reading while your waiting for the ice to melt. I just called the S&R Marine dealer to ask about engine, they want 1300.$ fairly firm on price. It was a local trade. It looks like a good one not beat up, clean but not detailed up for show. The dealer has a good reputation been there 20-30 years. Mech. told me they put a new tilt and trim motor on. New plugs, compresion test. They ran it out it runs strong. But as other members brought out Buyer beware on purchasing any used car,boat,or engine.<br />I wanted to mention there are boating saftey courses from many states on the web. IL doesnt offer one I used MO.

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yOU ARE ONE HECK OF A GREAT GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so impressed by this board!!! Thanks again! Brad