1977 Evinrude water psi gauge

csmithrc

Cadet
Hi all. Can anyone tell me where the best place to hook up the pressure gauge on a 1977 140 hp evinrude. Thanks

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1977 Evinrude water psi gauge

Most of them tee into the water tell tale hose.<br /><br />corm

csmithrc

Cadet

I know where the 2 exhaust relief holes are but i don't know about tell tell holes.It does have the two hoses at the thermostat.I was told by one shop to drill a hole in the top of the engine into the water jacket but this seems to risky to try on my own.

csmithrc

Cadet

Was just told by a local shop that this engine does not have a tell tell hose and they could not even tell me where to put in the tap for psi gauge.It does have a water passage plate at the top of the engine, wondered if that would be a good place to tap into.Thanks to anyone with any info

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Look on the water jacket plate (big bubble on rear of powerhead). Sometimes there was a boss where the fitting was later placed for the overboard indicator. Put your fitting there. The top plate will give you a false (low) reading.<br /><br />Good luck!

csmithrc

Cadet

Still have not found a fitting to hook up gauge to.Was told i could use the thermostat housing to tap into,I replaced the thermostats on this engine 2 months ago and it was a big pain to do this with engine all together.Anyone have any more ideas. Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The correct place is the water cover on the exhaust bubble. Drill and tap and install your fitting there. Install a fitting number 321886. Run a hose from that thru the pan to create your overboard indicator. Your water pressure line will then T into that line. That T will be in the pressure gauge kit.<br /><br />Good luck!

csmithrc

Cadet

If i can bother you one more time Dhadley, should i remove the cover or can i just drill and tap it. Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You can do it with it on, no problem. The plate isn't very thick so it won't take much. A right angle drill may be of some help. <br /><br />Good luck!