Help...trim not working right

mthomasff

Cadet
My motor trim works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I've replaced the switch and cleaned the two relays and connectors. If I press on the relays it will work. It is a 1994 Johnson 40 hp.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help...trim not working right

It sounds like you found the problem (if you push on the relay,and it starts working).<br />The contacts on the base of the relay corode VERY easily. They can be cleaned up nicely with fine emery cloth,or even a pencil eraser will polish them shiny.<br />there is not much you can do with the relay socket,shy of replacing the socket. You might try sticking a nail (battery disconnected) into the side of each contact in the socket to "re-stress" it,or slightly bend-in the metal to make a tight fit..But if it's badly coroded,you will likely have to replace the socket itself. Given the condition of the rest of the board's contacts, you may even opt to install a new board.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Time to change my tagline

mthomasff

Cadet
Re: Help...trim not working right

Thanks for the info. I took the relay harness out yesterday and cleaned all of the terminals, but I didn't check to see if they fit tight on the relays.