Ficht and four strokes

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I am investigating repowering my 17' Boston Whaler Montauk. I have the original 1980 Evinrude 100 on it and she is a tired old gas hog. I fish big water, often 20 or 30 miles from the nearest human being and I am getting paranoid about a major breakdown with only a 2 horse kicker to get me home. I like Evinrudes but every salesman I talk to about any other engine starts out by bad-mouthing the Ficht injection system. I have read that it gets fuel economy equal to, or better than equivalent Hondas. I am also considering a Yamaha 100.<br /><br />Who has real experience with a Ficht 90 Evinrude and no axe to grind? Who has real experience with the Yamaha 100? It's too much money to spend on a guess. Reliability and economy of operation are important to me.

outboardboy

Cadet
Re: Ficht and four strokes

The ficht evinrudes are great motors, the 90hp and 115hp are very good motors. They did have problems with the V6 motors a couple of years ago but have solved this since. However, since Johnson and Evinrude are still in bankruptcy, I would be very leary about buying one now,(warrenty and all). I'm sure the Yamaha is fine.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you want justification to purchase product from a bankrupt company, hey go for it .......its your money.....

JB

OUTBOARDBOY and ODDD1: Thanks for the input on the V4s. OMC is being purchased by Bombardier, a very sound company, so their future is probably good. Meanwhile, several dealers are offering significant discounts on both new and 2000 models. By the way, Chapter 11 and "out of business" are very different things.
smile.gif

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

in my book chapter 11 and not building motors for at least one model year qualifies as out of business....bombardier has accepted warrantee responsibility for 2000 an '01 rudes.....an just '01 johnsons...according to industry wags, anyway. as far as new stuff .....i'd bet money you wont see new product till spring '02

JB

Thanks for the added info, ODDD1. However, I have been offered new product, well, a 2001 model. You seem really negative on OMC. Is it my imagination or do you have some competitive agenda? I am really leaning toward the Yamaha 100 four stroke anyway, do you have any experience or info?
confused.gif

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not necesesarily negative JB, but pragmatic. Why set yourself up for trouble in the future? there are 2 things to remember about things mechanical.....1, everything breaks......2,if its broke an you wanna use it , you gotta fix it! so all things being equal[initial price, warrantee,fuel usage] buy something you can get service on later!<br />If you got a good yammy dealer locally.....by all means by one.....

JB

Your points are well taken and are conceded. I guess I tend to be too optimistic at times. Thanks, ODDD1. Happy boating.

WCBlues

Recruit

Warranty??? what good is a warranty for a motor you cant even get oil for? I got a 25 thousand dollar boat with a 2000 ficht 150 and the dealer i bought from doesnt have any ficht oil for it (the only oil you can use)told me today it might be a month maybe more then said hell who knows when. only 6 hrs on it and cant use it. But HEY ITS A GREAT MOTOR LMAO get the yamadog

JB

Thanks WCBLUES, That is the kind of real experience I was looking for. I didn't know that the Fichts require a special oil. You might be able to find some here and get it UPSed to you. Good Luck.
smile.gif

JB

Thanks WCBLUES, That is the kind of real experience I was looking for. I didn't know that the Fichts require a special oil. You might be able to find some here and get it UPSed to you. Good Luck.
smile.gif

JB

This was the oldest of my posts that we could find. I guess any older ones got lost by the infamous "Steve", who did some reorganizing in 2006. This is in celebration of ten years on iboats. :)

My first post, which seems lost forever, was on March 26, 2001; ten years ago today. :p