99 EVINRUDE 115 HORSE

pclair

Recruit
I AM BEING TOLD BY MY LOCAL MARINA THAT MY ECU IS BAD AND NOT FIRING #1 CYLYNDER DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT? ALSO THEY WANT $850.00 FOR THE ECU WHICH SOUNDS REDICULOUS, I CALLED OMC AND THEY WONT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT, I ALSO HAVE ALWAYS HAD A MISS IN THE ENGINE AND HAVE HAD THE ENGINE UPDATED BUT ITS STILL THERE, THEY SAY ITS NOT A MISS BUT A SOUND FROM THE EXHAUST CAN ANYBODY SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS FOR ME

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 99 EVINRUDE 115 HORSE

At what rpm range does the "miss" occur??<br /><br />That engine operates in 2 different modes. At speeds below approximately 1800 rpm, it runs in what they call stratified mode. The ecu controls fuel injection and ignition firing - and the ignition is operating in "multiple-fire" mode (i.e. the spark plugs are fired several times per combustion event). Above approximately 2200 rpm the motor runs in what they call homogeneous mode. The ecu changes the injector operation and the ignition operates in "single-fire" mode (i.e. the spark plugs are fired once per combustion event).<br /><br />When the engine is passing thru the 1800rpm thru 2200rpm range, it's transitioning from one mode to the other and it does act like its "missing" - that is normal for this engine.<br /><br />-John